Author Topic: What about Alma?  (Read 9040 times)

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
Re: What about Alma?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 04:35:56 PM »
Thanks for the responses. It seems that most wouldn't mind having a glass with Alma.

I must confess, however, that while I would not turn down the opportunity, I fear that I wouldn't care much for her.

It has impressed me that she effectively broke the relationships between Mahler and some of his valuable friends. She comes across--in part from her own words--as a self-indulgent, self-centered, spoiled brat and a user or manipulator of other people. And then there is the notable unreliability of some of her accounts, which, again, she skewed in her own favor.

It is the manipulative part that turns me most against her, I suppose, because of my occasional experience with such people over the years.

Yet she was, no doubt, quite charming. And I could be quite wrong. This exercise is all in the mind anyway--conjecture, not reality.

. & '

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 05:18:58 AM »
Also, do keep in mind that this WAS a two-way street situation. Mahler was no picnic to deal with on a day to day basis. That includes having to deal with his infamous mood swings. Alma was not only forced to give up her composing, but she more or less had to take care of the family business, including the finances. Some biographies imply that Mahler never hesitated to ask her to copy out parts as well. That must have been truly gauling, given that she was forbidden to compose. As if all that weren't enough, Mahler expected her to keep up with his fast romps through the countryside; discusssing Dostoevsky, Schoepenhauer, and Goethe along the way. In short, she was coerced into becoming "Superfrau". For a girl who was barely out of her teens (or was she still a teenager?), that's an awful lot to ask (expect; demand). They both had their strengths, and they both had their flaws. They were an odd couple, but a truly entertaining one.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 05:31:42 AM »
Very well said Barry.

I think it would be hard for me to talk to Mahler...he's probably think I was a hick.   :)

Ivor

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 11:13:16 AM »
And in addition to what's been said,the fact is that Mahler chose her at some level quite as much as vica versa [pedant alert - "galling" ;)],so played his part in his own difficulties.

The same as is true for all of us.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 03:49:45 PM »
I had just be reading about Baron Guy de Rotschild and Charles DeGaul before I wrote "gauling" (yeah, right!)    :D

Ivor

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 09:09:26 PM »
Charles de Gaulle on Alma - now there's a thought.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk