Author Topic: link for brief excerpts from new Noseda M10 (Chandos)  (Read 3176 times)

Offline barry guerrero

link for brief excerpts from new Noseda M10 (Chandos)
« on: January 22, 2008, 05:54:52 AM »
Virginmegastore - France has posted a few brief excerpts from the new Noseda M10. They sound pretty good to me. Be sure to click directly on the speaker symbols (and not cymbals)

http://www.virginmega.fr/musique/album/gianandrea-noseda-mahler-symphonie-n-10-version-deryck-cooke--103311311,page1.htm
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:56:36 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

Re: link for brief excerpts from new Noseda M10 (Chandos)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:27:29 AM »
Obviously, you can't read in too much from just these brief excerpts. But they sound truly promising - rather like the old Wyn Morris M10.

In the first scherzo, listen to just how rhythmic it is; and how Noseda gets the horns - playing in their muddy sounding middle register - to sound clear on all their chugging motor rhythms (it's really bad, un-Mahlerian orchestration). Wyn Morris sounded very similar in this movement.

In the Purgatorio movement, listen to how strongly the pizzicatto strings answer the "big tune" melody at the 20 second mark - the stopped horns making the appropriate acid-like sounds at the 35 second mark. I also like Noseda's slower tempo for the Purgatorio (why do so many people rush it?). On top of all that, listen to just how excellent the solo flute sounds at the start of the excerpt.

In the second scherzo, listen to how together the high strings are near the start; and just how "expressionistic" sounding the sudden outburst is at the 40 second mark.

In the fifth movement, which starts somewhere in the introductory section (before the flute solo), listen to how clearly defined the strummed harp chord is at the 26 second mark. Nice, dark sounding tam-tam too.

Do I dare get my hopes up?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk