Author Topic: OT: my other great musical passion . . .  (Read 22073 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: OT: my other great musical passion . . .
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »

I just want to express my love for this album...knowing objectivity
is impossible, and understanding that I don't have any kind of
technical knowledge regarding the sessions, overdubs and etc. I love
to read the posts from the scholars of course, but man, how can you
speak of something so sacred and not cheapin' the experience?

Well...I'm not worried that my experience will be cheapened anymore.

What do I love about this album? Well, the orchestration for one
thing...the imagination of the arrangements and the 'sound' that is
captured through the recording process and production. I am basically
a huge fan of great arrangements and orchestration. Thats why I love
Mahler too.

Actually, I don't hear this album as 'forward' looking or really
timeless...the arrangements and the sound of this album always bring
me to a specific 'time' or memory...the look of 60's furniture, or
the lampstands and curtains from mohogany walled apartments from the
early 70's, with women in flimsy sun dresses and granny glasses--
taking me by the hand to a park...all this flashes though the
remnents of my childhood soaked brain and I return to paradise. I
love the Lawrence Welk, easy-listening-type arrangements brought to
an aggressive level that approches the sound of danger, or even
maddness. I love how the vocals sound rather unfinished in places,
being the most realized on Sloop John B.

I love the fractured story the songs strive to tell, only to fail on
the wake of a missed train. Music isn't enough at the end...the truth
of 'reality' through the use of stock recordings taken from life like
a snapshot...with no tones to construct chords with, or place
together to form an artificial pattern to create art.

I love how the melodies of these songs are not really obvious, and
not always immediate and boldly outlined...rather they are as much
smoke and mirrors as Robert Johnson's Hellhounds On My Trail blues.
The architecture of the musical arguement is there in each song, but
the mist soons covers the logic...and all I can do is trust that what
I heard was real, and I can play the song again...as the song is
still there.

Or is it?

--Leo K

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 11:56:47 PM »

I recently bought her 8 CD set of Schubert sonatas...

Before Uchida came along my main set was the Wilhelm Kempff  set on DG...a classic set...but unfortunately he didn't always take the expostion repeats in the first movements, which is kinda a deal breaker for me in many ways.  Schubert's "heavenly lengths" (as Schumann so famously describes) must be heard in full to be appreciated.  Yet, Kempff is a wonderful Schubert interpreter...one of the greats actually...so I loved his set.

I was excited when I heard Uchida was going to be playing Schubert, because I know her Mozart is revelatory, especially her conception of Mozart's Piano Concerto No.18, Rondo in A minor and Sonata in F Major K.533.  These Mozart works, under her hands, were profound meditations, which could turn towards humour or anger on a dime.  My estimation of Mozart really grew with these interpretations.

I discovered her Schubert to be just as personal, reflective and well constructed conceptually.  The sound of the piano is also well considered in this recordings and add to the sublime, pastoral wandering of these works. 

Under Uchida's hands the later sonatas are especially epic, but the most intimate in scope in vision...the consideration of the hidden world under the social personality along with the "barrier" between the interior and exterior states, where our life meets the most pain, struggle and happyness...her Schubert reflects this thin line between our interior existence and our social world...and how the interior life is even pastoral, closer to nature in all it's beauty and terrible aspects. 

My personal favorite sonatas are the unfinished C major (D.840) traditionally named "Relique" and the epic G Major Sonata (D.894).

Highly recommended.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 07:21:30 AM »
Thanks for posting this info. - I find it very interesting. I really struggle with those big Schubert sonatas, so maybe I should give Uchida a whirl. In fact, I sort of struggle with Schubert in general. I find Schumann's chamber music to be very under-rated, so I tend to lean towards him in general. But, it's not an either/or situation, so I really should give Uchida the chance to make a convert of me.

B.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2007, 07:30:07 PM »
Thanks for posting this info. - I find it very interesting. I really struggle with those big Schubert sonatas, so maybe I should give Uchida a whirl. In fact, I sort of struggle with Schubert in general. I find Schumann's chamber music to be very under-rated, so I tend to lean towards him in general. But, it's not an either/or situation, so I really should give Uchida the chance to make a convert of me.

B.

Hi Barry, yes I love Schumann too, yet sadly I am one of those who have underated his chamber music, just by lack of listening to it enough I suppose...however, I do know his string quartets well and I love those...not only great music, but also well thought out conceptually...such as the key relationships.

As for Uchida's Schubert, let me know if you like her whenever you decide to try her Schubert...perhaps a single disk, such as this:

would be a great place to start, and start with the G major sonata...

--Leo
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 07:31:43 PM by Leo K »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2007, 06:13:52 PM »
More on Schubert (my other musical passion):

Franz Schubert (1797-1828)

Countess Karoline Esterhazy (1805-1851)…this portrait from a lost watercolor by Josef Teltscher, 1828.

I often wonder about the mysterious Countess Karoline Esterhazy.  My interest had become an obsession, but sadly, information about her is rather hard to come by.  I would love to know more about her broken marriage, or why she died at age 46 in 1851, but here I shall remember her and her friendship with composer Franz Schubert.

Her father was Johann Karl Esterhazy of Galanta, and in the summers of 1818 and 1824 Karoline and her older sister Marie were pupils of Schubert.  Schubert’s late works (at least from 1824 on) seem to evoke her presence very strongly; however, her presence in Schubert’s personal life is largely shrouded in mystery, of which we know only a few concrete details.   

During the summers of 1818 and 1824 Schubert took the two-day journey on stage-coach from Vienna to the Esterhazy summer residence, located in Zseliz, now Zeliezovce in Slovakia (more than a hundred miles from Schubert's home city of Vienna).  Biographer Brian Newbould describes Zseliz as a "small market town".

Before leaving Vienna to go to Zseliz (in 1824), Franz Schubert wrote in a letter to a friend:

I feel myself to be the most unhappy and wretched creature in the world.  Imagine a man whose health will never be right again, and who in sheer despair over this ever makes things worse and worse, instead of better; imagine a man, I say, whose brilliant hopes have perished, to whom the felicity of love and friendship have nothing to offer but pain, at best, whom enthusiasm (at least of the stimulating kind) for all things beautiful threatens to forsake, and I ask you, is he not a miserable, unhappy being? ‘My peace is gone, my heart is sore, I shall find it never and nevermore,’ I may well sing every day now, for each night, on retiring to bed, I hope I may not wake again, and each morning but recalls yesterday’s grief.

Schubert was really sick with syphilis by 1824.  Since the beginning of the year his doctor had him confined to his lodgings and on a special diet.  By the end of March Schubert was showing the signs of the 2nd stage of syphilis, the lesions to the mouth and throat that affected his voice.

By May, it appears Schubert’s symptoms had abated, and he was able to fulfill his tutoring duties in Zseliz.  He must have really had to suppress his emotional and physical ordeal to function in the Esterhazy castle. 

Incidentally, I found a picture of the one-story Esterhazy Castle after a long search on the internet.  It is interesting to see how it looks in this photo, with the windows boarded up (it has recently been restored):

This photo is fascinating to me…inside this summer residence Schubert tutored Count Esterhazy's daughters in piano and singing, and by 1824 Schubert had found himself 'in love' with the 18 year old Karoline.   According to Eduard Bauernfeld, Schubert was "head over heals in love with one of his pupils, a young Countess Esterhazy, to whom he also dedicated one of his most beautiful piano pieces, the Fantasy in F Minor for piano duet".

This is true; Schubert did dedicate this work, one of his most important works for piano, to Karoline in 1828.  Brian Newbould says that Bauernfeld is not always a reliable witness, but generally he has been a great help to scholars (such as mentioning the existence of the unfinished 10th Symphony and etc) and believes that Bauernfeld was problably correct over Schubert's infatuation with the Countess.  Schubert once refers to her in one of his letters as "a certain attractive star" and another friend of Schubert, named Schonstein writes:

This flame [for Karoline] continued to burn until his death.  Karoline had the greatest regard for him and for his talent but she did not return this love; perhaps she had no idea of the degree to which it existed.  I say the degree, for that he loved her must surely have been clear to her from a remark of Schubert's--his only declaration in words.  Once, namely, when she reproached Schubert in fun for having dedicated no composition to her, he replied, "What is the point?  Everything is dedicated to you anyway."

Brian Newbould continues:

Whether, at this juncture in his life, Schubert’s new feelings for Karoline brought him more joy than sadness is a matter of speculation.  It was recognized by those aware of them that the difference in social standing between the two people would have made it virtually impossible for any amatory relationship to develop, even if Karoline’s own feelings were not as neutral as [Karl von] Schonstein maintains.  In his diseased state, if she had been aware of his inclination and responded, he would anyway have found a deep irony in the possibility of a fulfilled and enduring partnership opening up after he had robbed himself of the capacity to pursue such an option.  Daily contact with Karoline, then, would have stirred ambivalent emotions.

Karl von Schonstein, who was there that summer, states that Schubert, the Countesses, and the Count spent the summer playing through Haydn’s Creation and The Seasons, as well as Mozart’s Requiem Mass.  Since Karoline’s voice was ‘charming but weak’, she usually was the accompanist during these happy hours of music making.   

Schonstein continues:

One morning in September 1824…Countess Esterhazy invited Meister Schubert during breakfast, which we all took together, to set to music for our four voices a poem which she was particularly fond; it was…Gebet [a poem by Friedrich de la Motte Fouque].  Schubert read it, smiled inwardly, as he usually did when something appealed to him, took the book and retired forthwith, in order to compose.

As Newbould observes, “one can understand Schubert being stirred, in his present situation, by verses like this”:

Whatever you plan for me,
Lord, I stand ready.
Whether for the gift of devoted love
Or for Valiant battle.

Maynard Solomon disagrees Karoline was a love interest; he feels the available evidence is not substantial enough for this claim:

It is difficult to give credence to this timeworn tale of a poor musician’s unrequited love for a highborn countess—recounted, not without some hints of irony, by Schober, Spaun, Bauernfeld, and Karl Schoenstein—for it is unsupported by contemporary letters or documents, and it doesn’t quite square with Schubert’s letters from Zseliz.  “I sit here alone…,” he wrote in a letter of 1824, “without a single person in the world.”  That is not very surprising, for the countess was somewhat retarded—her mother sent her to play hoops when she was thirty, and though she married as she neared forty, an annulment followed shortly thereafter.

The claim that Karoline was mentally handicapped comes from Otto Erich Deutsch, who wrote in his Schubert: A Documentary Biography that:

[Karoline] remained so much a child that her mother sent her out to play hoop when she was thirty.

Rita Steblin refutes Maynard Solomon, by noting that Deutsch didn’t provide any documentation for this claim.  She also reveals a previously unpublished reference regarding Schubert and Karoline, from Bauernfeld’s diary written in the month of Febuary, 1828, when Schubert was still alive:

Schubert appears seriously in love with the Countess E.  This pleases me about him.  He’s giving her lessons.

Schubert also began to write many duets for the piano.  The Sonata in C Major for piano duet, also known as the Grand Duo, is the longest of the duets Schubert wrote that summer. Schumann was the first (of many writers) to believe this sonata was a symphony is disguise. 

Brian Newbould writes:

It is as true to speak of Schubert’s vision in this work as ‘symphonic’ as it is in the case of the G Major String Quartet, the String Quintet in C, or the Piano Sonata in B Flat.  It does not mean that any of these works was conceived for orchestra; it does mean that the composer seeks to capture the symphony’s wealth of incident, range in color and depth of argument, but within the specifically chosen instrumental framework.

Schubert’s works for piano are unique even compared to Beethoven, who music in general is more dramatic compared to Schubert's lyricsim.  These sonatas are vast epics played out on the subjective, intimate wilderness of private moments and memories.  The Grand Duo and the mature piano sonatas may be large in scale, but even more important is their intimacy, or the idea that they belong in the home rather than the concert hall.  The smaller piano works have this quality too of course, like the Fantasia in F Minor mentioned already.  The sentiments expressed in the music is rather private in nature...the dynamics become mostly pianissimo throughout (although not always).  The long stretches of lyrical pastoral movement evokes much nostaligia (happy and sad) for the intimate, private moments we have all shared in with loved ones or nature and etc. 

The fact Schubert wrote duets at the Esterhazy castle suggests he was to play duets with Karoline and Marie, or have them play together.  Perhaps the memory of these music lessons with Karoline fueled the Fantasia in F Minor for piano duet, written later in 1828 and dedicated to her. 

Brian Newbould comments:

That so personal and masterly example of his mature art should be dedicated to Karoline Esterhazy testifies to the warmth of his regard for her.  Although in one sense she was a ‘distant beloved’—because of the social divide that separated them—she lived in the same city and the fact that there is no documentary record of their meeting in the last three years of Schubert’s life does not necessarily mean that the flames of his ‘idealized love’ were not fanned by her presence at all during that time.          

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 10:41:22 PM »
Another album I love:

Piano Concertos Nos. 20 & 21:
 Malcolm Bilson (pianoforte) / English Baroque Soloists / John Eliot Gardiner

Malcolm Bilson   

This album also holds the best performances of these two particular works I have heard in my 20 plus years of listening to recordings of these two concertos.  This recording is part of a larger cycle of Mozart’s complete Piano Concertos, all played by Bilson, Gardiner, and the English Baroque Soloists for the Archiv Produktion Label, recorded between 1984 and 1989.  The producers and engineers really captured the unique acoustic atmosphere within the two halls used in London. The piano and orchestra seem to reverberate with no loss of detail, as a flock of birds may be seen within an atmosphere of autumn sky, full of light and windy shade pointing to the sun.

Everyone in the orchestra uses instruments built or replicated from instruments built in the 17th, 18th and 19th century time periods.  Often I just sit back and dig the breezy, wheezy character of these woodwinds, as they are so well captured in these recordings.  The gut made strings are very full of atmosphere; I just can’t find a better word to describe the feeling.  Two of the pianos, or “pianofortes” used in this cycle were built by Philip Belt in New Haven (USA) and are replicas of Mozart’s concert pianoforte.  The sound of this piano is different from a modern grand because there are no metal parts used.   

And what about the performances?  Stunning in my opinion.  The energy of the orchestra is exciting and engaging, and the personality of the piano is wonderfully understated, thereby bringing a depth of consideration to the exchange with the orchestra.  The timbre of all the instruments are well captured…one of the best features of this recording. 

Even the album covers used in the individual releases and the box set deserve special mention, with feature illustrations by Maria Sibylla Merian from circa 1680:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 10:42:58 PM by Leo K »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk