Author Topic: U.S. domestic release of Zinman M10 (RCA) is Tues., April 5  (Read 5816 times)

Offline barry guerrero

U.S. domestic release of Zinman M10 (RCA) is Tues., April 5
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:58:26 AM »
Amazon's price has to be wrong because it's only a single disc. Shop around first.

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphony-No-10-Gustav/dp/B00458T8BA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1301626743&sr=1-1
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:00:15 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline sbugala

Offline barry guerrero

Re: U.S. domestic release of Zinman M10 (RCA) is Tues., April 5
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:41:26 AM »
$15 difference!!! Obviously, Amazon needs to make a correction.

Offline Don

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 01:18:42 PM »
One of my favorite places to order, http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8357671&style=classical has it for $9.58.

Amazon is sometimes higher in price than other sites for no apparent reason.

I ordered a copy from MDT in the UK back in November and it was still a lot less than Amazon.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »
They must make SOME profit in shipping because $9.58 is below the actual cost. Go for it.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 03:22:53 AM »
I bought it for $9.99 at a local CD store today.

This is a beautiful recording of the Carpenter edition, very well played.

Zinman's reading is no-nonsense, let-the-music-speak-for-itself approach and it works extremely well for the score which is already full of exaggerations and some wild orchestration.

I'd rank this one among Zinman's best in the cycle, along with the 3rd, 6th, and 8th.

The recording sound is drop dead beautiful and gorgeous with lots of ambiance, warmth, and great details. It's the best so far in the cycle.

Highest recommendation.

John,

Offline Russell

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 05:47:17 PM »

Zinman's reading is no-nonsense, let-the-music-speak-for-itself approach and it works extremely well for the score which is already full of exaggerations and some wild orchestration.

I'd rank this one among Zinman's best in the cycle, along with the 3rd, 6th, and 8th.

The recording sound is drop dead beautiful and gorgeous with lots of ambiance, warmth, and great details. It's the best so far in the cycle.

Highest recommendation.

John,

And I thought I did well at picking it up for $10.99!  I agree with you, John--this is a really great recording, and for me the best of the Carpenter recordings.  (I also like the new Shui Blu-ray, but the playing on the Zinman is far more refined.)  Zinman's direct and straightforward approach work very well here, and for once the Carpenter orchestrations and 'enhancements' don't seem overdone but sound (almost) entirely natural and integrated.  (Or perhaps I'm just getting used to it!)  And yes, the sound quality is gorgeous!

Russell

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 03:22:07 PM »

Highest recommendation.

John,

And I thought I did well at picking it up for $10.99!  I agree with you, John--this is a really great recording, and for me the best of the Carpenter recordings.  (I also like the new Shui Blu-ray, but the playing on the Zinman is far more refined.)  Zinman's direct and straightforward approach work very well here, and for once the Carpenter orchestrations and 'enhancements' don't seem overdone but sound (almost) entirely natural and integrated.  (Or perhaps I'm just getting used to it!)  And yes, the sound quality is gorgeous!

Russell
Russell,

You've nailed it down!! ;D :D

The more I listen, the more I become addicted to it, just like I was addicted to Zinman's M8th.

I just can't stop listening to this M10. It's that good.

For the first time, Carpenter version sounds SO natural and seamless, completely on the wave length of Mahler's idiom. Yes, the orchestration itself sounds as if it came from Berg, but the point is that it's integrated into Mahler's original writing so well that it sounds completely natural in this recording.

This is a monumental achievement for Zinman and his orchestra.

The sound is one of the very best given for any Mahler recording.

Now, I'd put it(slightly) ahead of the Litton.

Best,

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 06:29:53 AM »
I'm glad you guys are liking this recording. It's been slow to grow on me, but I'm warming up to it more and more. For my taste, the first two movements are a tad on the slow side. Thus, I prefer Litton in the first two movements. But from the third movement on, it's hard to beat Zinman regardless of what performing version someone may be using. The last two movements, in particular, are quite powerful and moving.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk