Author Topic: update on future Honeck/PSO Mahler recordings  (Read 5382 times)

Offline barry guerrero

update on future Honeck/PSO Mahler recordings
« on: March 01, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »
I contacted the PSO directly. Contrary to everything that was stated here, symphonies 2 and 6 will be separate issues (and not combined), and they were both recorded in Heinz Hall. Expect M2 sometime late spring (which will mean early summer) and M6 sometime before the end of the year. That makes sense to me, as none of what was stated previously made any sense at all (no offense meant in saying that, as I know all previous postings were sincere).

Barry
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:00:10 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline hrandall

Re: update on future Honeck/PSO Mahler recordings
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »
I'm still holding out hope for his 5 hammer blow version! :-)

Herb

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 04:16:24 AM »
Yeah, why not!?!  Sign me up.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:23:17 AM »
I just got access to a broadcast recording of the Honeck/Pittsburgh M6 from the June 2012 Heinz Hall performances. This is evidently one of the concerts on which the Exton hybrid SA-CD will be based. It's as colorful and enthusiastic a performance as we've come to expect from these forces and I look forward to the final product. This one has two hammer blows and is Andante–Scherzo as anticipated. The timings are as follows:

24:05
18:29*
13:25
32:49

*I'm not allergic to slowish Andantes in M6, but this one's really extreme—it may well be the slowest I've ever encountered. Anybody know of a longer one?

James
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:55:36 AM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 02:27:02 AM »
Wow, that truly is slow. However, they do have great strings and Heinz Hall is relatively small. So maybe it'll come across as more intimate and lovely sounding in the slower bits, yet incredibly powerful in the louder bits (the climax).

Offline hrandall

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 07:37:45 PM »
I just got access to a broadcast recording of the Honeck/Pittsburgh M6 from the June 2012 Heinz Hall performances. This is evidently one of the concerts on which the Exton hybrid SA-CD will be based. It's as colorful and enthusiastic a performance as we've come to expect from these forces and I look forward to the final product. This one has two hammer blows and is Andante–Scherzo as anticipated. The timings are as follows:

24:05
18:29*
13:25
32:49

*I'm not allergic to slowish Andantes in M6, but this one's really extreme—it may well be the slowest I've ever encountered. Anybody know of a longer one?

James

According to Peter Fülöp's Mahler discography, Sinopoli's recording with the Philharmonia has the Andante at 19:48! He apparently also had the longest finale at 34:28 and total time at 92:57.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:28:21 AM »
.   .    .  yeah, which is weird because the scherzo is rather on the quick side. But then the last two movements take forever.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 02:51:03 AM »
According to Peter Fülöp's Mahler discography, Sinopoli's recording with the Philharmonia has the Andante at 19:48!

Interesting. This Philharmonia Orchestra recording on DG was made in September, 1986. Sinopoli must have had a radical rethinking of the work during the preceding year because his Weitblick recording with the Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart des SWR—made in May, 1985—has a relatively sprightly Andante, timing in at 18:07.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 05:40:19 AM »
I'm quite sure that Sinopoli performed M6 and M7 in Dresden with the Staatskapelle. In spite of his slow tempi, I would love to see those performances 'see the light of day' on Haenssler someday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk