Author Topic: Unusual use for Mahler 2 DVD....  (Read 3703 times)

john haueisen

Unusual use for Mahler 2 DVD....
« on: June 08, 2009, 01:40:08 AM »
Maybe this is really not such an unusual use for a DVD of Mahler's Second:

A friend of mine lost her son last week.  He died suddenly and tragically, just an hour and a half after having dinner in a restaurant with her and his family.  No one had any hint that 90 minutes later he would be gone forever.

What do you say at such a tragic time?

Beyond the usual "I'm so sorry," I gave her a DVD of Mahler's Second, told her to turn on the English subtitles, and at least watch the final 15 minutes.

A few days later, I heard from her how much the words and music of M2 had helped her.
I believe her, because she then got a copy for her son's best friend, to perhaps help him cope with the loss.

I haven't heard the result for the friend, but I am so glad that M2 helped give a mother some peace.

--John Haueisen

Offline John Kim

Re: Unusual use for Mahler 2 DVD....
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 05:54:22 AM »
John,

I can believe what you're telling us...the sad story of the loss of son and redemption that the mother was able to make through the M2 DVD.

As a person who sang twice the final 15 min. of the music, I know how much the words mean, how much of (good) impact they can make upon us.

My condolence goes to your friend and her memory.

John,

Offline Damfino

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 02:26:50 PM »
John, I think that is a very fine use for the Mahler 2. The M2 is such a powerful work, that one can be overwhelmed by it regardless of one's faith. Persons suffering a loss, particularly if they are persons of faith, will see dimensions in the work that go beyond its sheer musicality.

Offline bluesbreaker

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 02:38:53 PM »
Yep, M2 also works in this kind of condition. Lenny Bernstein performed it in memory of JFK a couple of days after the latter was murdered. He even explained why he did that in an essay............it was in one of his books, though I forgot the title.

That flute solo before the chorus entrance sounds like as if the soul of the dead visit his loved ones at his own funeral, before his trip to heaven.
Under The Dark Side Of The Glass Moon

Offline waderice

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:03:06 PM »
That is a perfect "sympathy card" for someone to give to another, grieving the loss of one dear to them.....

The message that Mahler's 2nd puts forth is one not only of faith, but also in this particular case, resurrection of the soul of the departed.  And what mother would expect anything less for her offspring in grieving his loss?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:35:58 PM by waderice »

Offline david johnson

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:00:02 AM »
well done, john.

dj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk