Author Topic: Boulez/Berlin Staatskapelle M2 DVD on Euroarts is terrific!  (Read 11781 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Boulez/Berlin Staatskapelle M2 DVD on Euroarts is terrific!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 06:17:07 AM »
I am in love with Petra Lang...oh my what an Urlicht!!!!!!  She is also very beautiful.  Her timbre has a certain "gutsy" sound, while not as refined perhaps, still transcends limits with the tacit feeling of each phrase...wow, I just got done with watching this DVD and I was floored by the whole thing.  The climaxes are very powerful and the sound overall is magnificent.  I agree Diana Damrau and Petra Lang are a great team, and their voices mix very well.  The chorus is also powerful and full.  I couldn't ask for a better M2 really.  Boulez is a master architect as he builds the performance without getting in the way...like he dissapears totally.  Mahler is in the building here.  Bravo.

Ok, back to the TV to watch the Urlicht again...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 07:19:44 AM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 04:30:02 PM »
Where can I get NTSC version of this DVD?

John

Offline John Kim

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 05:43:55 PM »
Thanks. But I don't want to order from amazon as I live in Washington State (must pay tax). Any other place?

John

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 04:55:55 PM »
Thanks. But I don't want to order from amazon as I live in Washington State (must pay tax). Any other place?

John

Do the Amazon Marketplace vendors charge sales tax in Washington State?  I ordered the Boulez M2 DVD from Caiman via Amazon.  I have ordered many CD's from the Marketplace vendors, especially Caiman, Newbury, and Hermann Street.  The only one with which I've had problems is Hastings (but they've refunded my money whenever I had a problem). 
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 08:26:08 PM »
Scott,

Yes they do.

John,

Offline je-b

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 11:13:06 PM »

Not only is there a great sense of occassion coupled to really solid concentration (without sounding anal), but this video is much easier to watch than Claudio Abbado and his transplanted Berliners. I can't stand watching Abbado - I don't know how anyone can tell where his beat is. And, just as annoying, his Berliners in Lucerne constantly sweep their torsos around so that the whole orchestra is like watching a mix-master on acid. I swear, you can feel the wind whipping around the room. How can anybody watch that? It's worse than watching an episode of Andre Rieu on PBS, or a Lawrence Welk rerun.
Barry

It will certainly amuse you to hear that BPO (and Lucerne Festival Orchestra) principal oboist Albrecht Mayer moved so much during this year's Berlin Philharmonic "Concert for Europe" that he even knocked over a music stand during the last movement of the Brahms Fourth Symphony. Quite a good performance nonetheless... ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 11:14:44 PM by je-b »
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 03:46:30 AM »
By all means; I would have applauded madly for his knocking over the music stand.   8)

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 02:08:48 PM »
Is there a way to burn the audio from a DVD to CD? This sounds like a nice "replacement" to the CD proper.

Offline waderice

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
Is there a way to burn the audio from a DVD to CD? This sounds like a nice "replacement" to the CD proper.

Unless your DVD player is connected to your stereo system and you likewise have a CD recorder or computer with audio card connected to the same system via RCA analog pin plug input/outputs using high-quality audio cables (I have an older Dynaco system), you can do it that way.  Some of the newer stereo systems and computer audio cards have either optical, coaxial, or HDMI input/outputs that will allow you to do a digital-to-digital transfer, for better sound transfer.

Wade

Offline Fafner

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 03:19:24 PM »

There are several utilities around which allow you to do this. I guess there are even some freeware ones, anyways I've been using this one for years and it works great

http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk