Author Topic: Rattle / BPO M9 might really be something...  (Read 15210 times)

michaelw

Re: Rattle / BPO M9 might really be something...
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Today the new Rattle M9 has been pre-released by iTunes. It's an iTunes plus release, so the sound quality is good (256 AAC).
Timings are:

I.   28:57
II.  15:57
III. 12:38
IV. 26:02

I only checked the Rondo Burlesque up to now. The sound is more at the front, less stage atmosphere than e.g. Barenboim or Chailly. But that's only a first impression.

Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 08:20:30 PM »
So, it is different from the one we all heard on the boradcast which has,

1. 28:13
2. 15:31
3. 12:35
4. 27:32

John,

michaelw

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 09:08:29 PM »
So, it is different from the one we all heard on the broadcast which has,

1. 28:13
2. 15:31
3. 12:35
4. 27:32

John,

But effectively, the 3rd and 4th movement are 12:28 and 25:50 on the broadcast and within one second this is identical on the official release. The first two movements are definitely different. Looks like a mix of the broadcast performance and other ones. I had no time to compare in detail.

Michael

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 09:18:15 PM »
I can't find it in the iTunes store...is it perhaps only in Europe it is released?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 12:08:10 AM »
Leo,

Can you contact me when you get this recording on internet?

Thanks.

John,

michaelw

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 07:27:32 AM »
I can't find it in the iTunes store...is it perhaps only in Europe it is released?

I have checked iTunes US before telling about the release. Try "mahler rattle" and then "show all" or

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=267844592&s=143441

Michael

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 04:50:48 PM »

I have checked iTunes US before telling about the release. Try "mahler rattle" and then "show all" or

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=267844592&s=143441

Michael

Thanks!!!!

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 01:47:26 AM »
Heard the first two movements so far and I'm very excited with Rattle's treatment, which sounds different than the broadcast.

It may be my top M9...more later after I've heard it a few times...I will say the recording captures all kinds of details in the score I don't hear often. 

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 05:52:48 AM »
Leo,

You got me into this!!

I am really excited to hear all the positives about the new Rattle recording from you.

As I am writing this I am listening to Abbado's live M9th with BPO from Berlin,1994. Man, what a great performance!

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 06:37:01 AM »
I must say by far the greatest & the most idiomatic playing that M9th ever got was from none other than the Philadelphia Orchestra in their 1979 RCA recording. Sadly, when they digitized the tape to CD, much of the splendor of the original analogue recording got lost; the dynamic range was compromised, some details were lost. I got my LPs transferred to CDR and it sounds much better than either RCA CD or Japanese remastered CD. Great conducting from James Levine. Stick with your LPs.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 11:57:23 PM »
I must say by far the greatest & the most idiomatic playing that M9th ever got was from none other than the Philadelphia Orchestra in their 1979 RCA recording. Sadly, when they digitized the tape to CD, much of the splendor of the original analogue recording got lost; the dynamic range was compromised, some details were lost. I got my LPs transferred to CDR and it sounds much better than either RCA CD or Japanese remastered CD. Great conducting from James Levine. Stick with your LPs.

John,

I must revist Levine's wonderful M9.

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 07:01:54 AM »

--Leo

This is definitely worth being reissued on SACD format. It's the kind of analogue recording where many details and subtle dynamics can easily be lost during digital remastering, so it will benefit greatly by the SACD formatting. Ditto Levine/LSO/RCA M6th recording. My LPs of this recording sounds superior to the CD reincarnations in USA and Japan.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »

--Leo

This is definitely worth being reissued on SACD format. It's the kind of analogue recording where many details and subtle dynamics can easily be lost during digital remastering, so it will benefit greatly by the SACD formatting. Ditto Levine/LSO/RCA M6th recording. My LPs of this recording sounds superior to the CD reincarnations in USA and Japan.

John,

I like Levine's M6 and M10 recordings also...I'll keep my eyes peeled for any used LP's around Tucson.  I found a used CD of his M7 too, which I haven't heard yet.  All and all, I really love Levine's Mahler cycle.  Oh, I haven't heard his M3 yet either but I hear it's wonderful.

--Leo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk