Author Topic: Barenboim/CSO/DG Bruckner 5th - the greatest B5th ever?  (Read 7823 times)

Offline John Kim

Barenboim/CSO/DG Bruckner 5th - the greatest B5th ever?
« on: November 23, 2007, 11:53:57 PM »
I finally got hold of a recording of this one. It was transferred from DG LPs, so th sound is warm, full, and surprisingly, comes with plenty of ambiance. I had a vague recollection of Barenboim's B5th from my LPs that I eventually and mistakenly had given up years ago. I am listening to the second movt. and I can confirm that my memory of this splendid recording was every bit correct. In one verdict, Barenboim miraculously integrates the piece with a perfect combination of (appropriately steady) tempo, acute sense of architecture and balance, and above all  just, right amount of swagger, sweep and solemnity. All in all, it strongly reminds me of his excellent Schuman Symphonies cycle with the same orchestra available on DG. I must say, this B5th is even better than his Chicago B4th or B7th that came out on CD. Listen to the beautiful descending passages in the second movt. in such a slow but well sustained tempo; nobody catches Bruckner' spirit so perfectly here. Critics speak of Klemperer or Muti when it comes to Bruckner 5th, but many of them must have not heard this great recording. By all means, DG MUST reissue Barenboim's whole Bruckner cycle from Chicago. Are you listening, DG?

John,

Offline John Kim

Re: Barenboim/CSO/DG Bruckner 5th - the greatest B5th ever?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 06:37:38 AM »
III and IV are on the same or an even better level. The Scherzo has a measured tempo but the thrust and Brucknerian vigor are never wanting. Ditto the Finale where Barenboim pushes with a steady and escalating momentum but never loses either the structure or occasional solemnity. The movt. ends in a rousing, magnificent climax rarely heard in any other recordings.

A top notch B5th then and perhaps one of the greatest Bruckner recordings ever made.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 04:16:17 PM »
I am excited on reading these reviews of Bruckner recordings, as I am very new to Bruckner!

Last night I sampled the Maazel B8 with the BPO and was impressed by this rich, full performance...very awesome brass.  The Furtwangler B9 is another stunning, moving recording.  I will probably order that Barenboim B9 with BPO very soon, and the Harnoncourt as well.

Thanks,

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 05:12:14 PM »
I am  listening to this recording again. There is no doubt that it is one of the greatest Bruckner 5ths, on a par (or even better than) the Klemperer, Mutti, and Lopez-Cobos. Of the four, it may very well be the most Brucknerian - the tempo, balance, phrasing couldn't be bettered. And my God, the Chicago brasses are never so dominating; they are just well blended with the rest of the orchestra in this recording. Even DG's sound is surprisingly warm and vibrant.

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 07:19:36 PM »
I am excited on reading these reviews of Bruckner recordings, as I am very new to Bruckner!

Last night I sampled the Maazel B8 with the BPO and was impressed by this rich, full performance...very awesome brass.  The Furtwangler B9 is another stunning, moving recording.  I will probably order that Barenboim B9 with BPO very soon, and the Harnoncourt as well.

Thanks,

--Leo

I have way too many B9's, but Barenboim with Berlin may be my favorite.  In addition to great playing and sound, the performance has great instrumental color, too. 

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 02:43:09 AM »
As much as the Furtwangler bowls me over...I can't wait to get a better sounding version of the B9.

I have ordered the Barenboim BPO B9 and also the Giulini VPO B9/DG to start with.

Thanks for your thoughts sbugala.

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 06:09:06 AM »
Sorry,....I must have been out of mind...I was speaking of B6th, NOT B5th! Yes, I was talking about Barenboim/CSO/DG B6th recording.

My apology.

John,

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 12:38:13 AM »
Mr. Kim,
Forgive my dredging up this old thread, but I was in NYC last week and found the entire Barenboim/CSO DG Bruckner cycle (on CD) at Academy Records in pristine condition for $60.00. The sixth might sound better (or worse) than your dub from LP, but it will surely have less surface noise. If you're interested in a copy, contact me.

James Meckley
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 05:43:27 AM »
James,

I'd rather have the original box set. Can you sell yours to me? :D

Or, do they have another set for sale in NY?

Thanks.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 05:21:31 AM »
It's truly a great Bruckner 5th & 6th. The 9th is really good too.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 07:02:16 AM »
Every symphony in this Bruckner set was treated with great conducting and playing, in gorgeous sound. I can't find a fault with any of the performances. But my highest praises go to the B0, B1, B3, B6, and B8. If anybody has doubt about CSO being a fine Bruckner orchestra, try these recordings.

Overall, quite possibly the greatest Bruckner Symphony cycle ever recorded (but sadly underrated and short lived ).

DG, are you listening??

John,

Offline Ben

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 04:24:58 PM »
I have always wanted to own this set.  I enjoy the 4th and 7th very much, and the 9th is quite good too.  Though, I don't turn to Barenboim's 9th all that often as I think it has been bettered, I think it probably fits in with the set very well, based on hearing 4 and 7.  I've always been intrigued in hearing the 8th - I want to hear the CSO with a good Bruckner conductor in my favorite Bruckner symphony.

This set is long overdue for a reissue.  I guess DG only thinks Jochum and Celibidache's sets are worth having available.  I think Karajan's 70s traversal is an import.  EMI basically has two - Jochum and Celibidache (strangely similar to DG....).  Philips has Haitink.  Decca has Chailly and Solti.  RCA has Wand and Masur.  Granted, a Bruckner cycle may not be a money-maker, but I think there is a fair amount of interest out there for the Barenboim set.  And DG must think there is some as they've reissued the 4th a few times now within a short amount of time.

My .02,
Ben

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 04:42:05 PM »
I've got the Barenboim/CSO Bruckner 0, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9 on LP and have always enjoyed them. Part of that, I suspect, is the distinctive audio of LP recordings compared to CD. To me, Bruckner's music just sounds good on a quality vinyl pressing, compared to the same recording on CD. I've got the CD pressing of the CD of 4 and 7, so I can compare B4 head to head, CD to vinyl. Let's just say "It ain't the same thing." Of course, if you don't have a decent analog stereo rig, the CDs would be fine. Or, if you want to play them, like, in your car .....  :)

I must say, though, that the Barenboim/CSO B7 sucks. It is completely flat, devoid of all humanity. And for some reason, the strings were having intonation problems that day. This is a recording worth missing. And it's an even greater disappointment to me, because the 7th is my favorite of the Bruckner symphonies.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:49:56 PM by Amphissa »
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk