Author Topic: Haitink's Kerst Matinee M3 and M9  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Haitink's Kerst Matinee M3 and M9
« on: December 29, 2007, 05:55:24 PM »
I've finally got the chance to hear these two performances from Hatink's Kerst Matinee Mahler box.

The M3 is very different than the two other Haitink M3's I've yet heard, his VPO from the Mahlerfeest and his recent M3 with the CSO on the resound label.  The Kerst M3 is slower and measured, but amazing in detail and emotion, again as is usual in Haitink M3's the final movement is real special...radiant with deep feeling.  I prefer this M3 over his others I've heard, but each one has something special in regards to concept and performance.  I am now completely impressed, or won over with Haitink as an artist, and of course very fascinated and impressed by the sound of the RCO.  I now wish to survey as much of Haitink's Mahler as I can, even his lower rating performances seem to have something interesting to ponder.  To me, he is a man of relentless searching, but in his own quiet, measured manner, much like the Scandivavians I have known growing up in Minnesota. 

The Kerst M9 (from 1988 or 89?) is really something special, I certainly like his slower pace here as well...Haitink again changes his mind about the M9 quite often, as this is very different from the others I've heard.  Sadly, the sonics are not the best, but really not bad for a broadcast recording.  In particular I like the detail in the third big climax during the first movement.  In another discussion Barry has made me more aware of the usually hidden low A natural in the horn that is heard VERY well here, very sinister under the thundering timpani...it sure does add to the impact of this climax.  The deep bells after this climax reverberate with such depth that it takes the breath away.  And the The quieter sections in the same movement are also quite effective, direct and unsentimental, slower in tempo but phrased with such beauty and detail.  I love how the instruments at very beginning of the work are balanced, each line very clear from the other, and the horn's tone and character very mournful but not hidden...I like to hear the long held notes the horn sometimes plays under the strings throughout the beginning.  The second movement is a canvas on which the RCO really shine in detail and personality, and this goes for the RB as well, which Haitink slows down for the "trio" section for an effective "reflective" atmosphere in which the RCO are even more radiant.  The Adagio sounds big and glorious...again nothing is taken for granted in Mahler's score...at times the scene does sound alittle "stoic", but still the RCO shine and carry the day...it even sounds as if Haitink has let go of the reigns.  Bravo!  What an M9 to praise!

--Todd

Offline John Kim

Re: Haitink's Kerst Matinee M3 and M9
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 06:06:45 PM »
The Kerst M9 (from 1988 or 89?) is really something special, I certainly like his slower pace here as well...Haitink again changes his mind about the M9 quite often, as this is very different from the others I've heard.  Sadly, the sonics are not the best, but really not bad for a broadcast recording.  In particular I like the detail in the third big climax during the first movement.  In another discussion Barry has made me more aware of the usually hidden low A natural in the horn that is heard VERY well here, very sinister under the thundering timpani...it sure does add to the impact of this climax.  The deep bells after this climax reverberate with such depth that it takes the breath away.  And the The quieter sections in the same movement are also quite effective, direct and unsentimental, slower in tempo but phrased with such beauty and detail.  I love how the instruments at very beginning of the work are balanced, each line very clear from the other, and the horn's tone and character very mournful but not hidden...I like to hear the long held notes the horn sometimes plays under the strings throughout the beginning.  The second movement is a canvas on which the RCO really shine in detail and personality, and this goes for the RB as well, which Haitink slows down for the "trio" section for an effective "reflective" atmosphere in which the RCO are even more radiant.  The Adagio sounds big and glorious...again nothing is taken for granted in Mahler's score...at times the scene does sound alittle "stoic", but still the RCO shine and carry the day...it even sounds as if Haitink has let go of the reigns.  Bravo!  What an M9 to praise!

--Todd

Thanks for your detailed report.

I'd have been more enthusiastic about this live M9th had the sonics been better. You mentioned the brilliance of the third climax in I. but to me it is nearly ruined because the tam tam stroke is inaudible here. Yes, the low horn is very loud in this recording, and I really like Haitink's slow pacing overall. Fortunately, unlike Horenstein and Kobayashi Haitink treats the three major climaxes as true allegro-like sections at much faster tempo. I bet DVD releases of the same performances might have better sonics.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 06:41:31 PM »
Yes, the tam tam is hard to hear unfortunately, but I found the other parts of the climax well presented and very atmospheric...and that low horn really adds something special.  I agree regarding the tempos in the climaxes...this pace never gets too "tar baby" stuck.

I bet the sound of this M9 is much better on the DVD's...maybe even that tam tam would be heard.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 06:48:45 PM »
Todd,

I know the DVDs have been released in Europe and are available for purchase. But they might be in PAL format.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 07:01:41 PM »
I'll have a search soon to see where to purchase...I'm seriously interested in these DVDs, at least to get the M9 and M3. I can play Pal format on my computer fortunately.

Does anyone know where these can be ordered?

--Todd
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 07:08:56 PM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:29:44 AM »
I found one place to order the DVDs:

http://selectie.nrc.nl/product.php?productid=254

But it's all in Dutch with no English pages. I heard the DVDs have excellent 4 channel surround sound.

If anyone is going to order the set at this website PL let me know how it went.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk