Author Topic: Svetlanov/Swedish Radio Orchestra/Weitbuck Mahler Ninth CD - Review  (Read 4482 times)

Offline John Kim

Among a handful of Russian conductors I have a soft spot for Svetlanov when it comes to Mahler.

He seemed to feel at home with Mahler's myriad instructions, especially regarding tempos and tempo relations; he almost always found an efficient way to realize them on the podium.

Mahler Ninth was one of his fortes with interesting and convincing arguments held in check, not the least of which is the great Andante Comodo (opening) movement. It flows, sings and unfolds naturally but it also moves along in a tight structure, leaving nothing in vague gestures. In Svetlanov's hands the Rondo Burleske (III) becomes a nail biter racing blazingly in just over 12 min. The Finale, again, just flows with little sentimental extremism a la Bernstein. But it works beautifully as it does in I. Not that it lacks power and overarching emotions. They are all there, unmistakably!

A top notch Mahler Ninth and a very important historical archive.

Offline pianobaba

Re: Svetlanov/Swedish Radio Orchestra/Weitbuck Mahler Ninth CD - Review
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
I only see recordings of his with the Russian State SO available. I have not heard any of his Mahler, sounds intriguing.

Offline James Meckley

Re: Svetlanov/Swedish Radio Orchestra/Weitblick Mahler Ninth CD - Review
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »
I only see recordings of his with the Russian State SO available.

The Berkshire Record Outlet currently has it listed for $15.98 (a two-disc set). The label is Weitblick—it was misspelled in the original header. BRO Code: 156467.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline pianobaba

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
Ok thanks, has anyone hear the cycle with the Russian SO? How is it?

Offline Electra

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 04:19:32 AM »
Hi John Kim,

I couldn't agree with you more. It's great to see a conductor like Svetlanov getting his due in some circles at least.

I ordered a whole bunch of the Weitblick CDs from BRO, and I'm not through listening to all of them yet. (Svetlanov with Schubert 9 happens to be playing in the background.) The pick of the crop, so far, though has been Bruckner 4 with Jochum. If you think that Jochum's studio Bruckner was alive (or erratic, depends on your point of view), wait till you here this Swedish recording! I loved it.

I would be curious to hear what other users have to say about any of the Weitblick discs.

Electra

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk