Author Topic: Macal/CPO/Exton M9...timings  (Read 4058 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Macal/CPO/Exton M9...timings
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »
I haven't heard this yet, but here are the timings!

I. 28:04

II. 15:19

III. 13:07

IV. 26:13

:D

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: Macal/CPO/Exton M9...timings
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 06:35:55 PM »
I received this one last week from HMV.JP.  I've only listened to it once, so I hesitate to say too much.  My first impressions are that the outer movements work much better than the inner ones.  Macal has a good feel for tempo in the outer movements, and the CPO plays superbly.  The big tam-tam smash in mvt 1 is rather muted -- and strangely the follow-up strikes in the quieter passage stand out a good bit more (it sounds like a large Wuhan).

The Landler starts out a little too briskly and the trio sections are not properly contrasted from each other.
The R-B never really catches fire, which is always a deal killer for me (or shall I say recommendation-killer). 

Oh yeah, the biggest surprise is that this is a stereo-only SACD!!  :(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:38:03 PM by sperlsco »
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 06:46:57 PM »
Thanks for the first impressions...I will listen tonight and see what I think...I am excited to hear this finally!  I look forward to hearing the queiter section you speak of, I like to be able to hear the tam tam in that section.  Hopefully the tam tam in the 3rd climax is not TOO muted!

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 07:03:31 PM »
Oh, No :-[

Mine will arrive today.... :-\

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:23:41 PM »
Should still be interesting, since it's getting high ratings in Japan!

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:13:14 PM »
The big tam-tam smash in mvt 1 is rather muted -- and strangely the follow-up strikes in the quieter passage stand out a good bit more (it sounds like a large Wuhan).
A few recordings sound just like what you described, e.g., Dohnanyi, de Waart, to name two of them. It's because the tam tam sound can easily be eaten up by the outburst in trombones, tuba, and bass drum roll that are all located at the same spot in the score. Sometimes, on a high end equipment it will come out more distinctively.

Please wait for my verdict tonight 8)

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk