Author Topic: Pretre conducting Mahler  (Read 11816 times)

Wolfbane

Pretre conducting Mahler
« on: January 24, 2008, 12:38:13 AM »
HMV Japan is releasing M5 and M6 from Pretre and the VSO this month.
Has anyone heard any Mahler performances with Pretre conducting ?

Offline John Kim

Re: Pretre conducting Mahler
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:45:53 AM »
Nope, but I have his Also Sprach Zarathustra on RCA with Philharmonia Orch. It's a great recording. I bet his Mahler will be pretty good.

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 05:03:59 AM »
I know we're talking apples and oranges here, but I really liked his recent New Year's concert from Vienna. Heck, I didn't even know he was still alive!

Offline techniquest

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 08:03:08 AM »
I have an ancient recording of Shostakovich 12 by him which is pretty good. Like you, sbugala, I didn't realize he was still alive!

Offline david johnson

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:54:07 AM »
I know we're talking apples and oranges here, but I really liked his recent New Year's concert from Vienna. Heck, I didn't even know he was still alive!

nor did i...i thought the gentleman was dead.

dj

Offline akiralx

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 09:10:17 AM »
I have an ancient recording of Shostakovich 12 by him which is pretty good. Like you, sbugala, I didn't realize he was still alive!

Yep, I have that DSCH 12 on LP.  His NY Day concert was very good, I just received the double CD.  Apparently he has conducted the VPO successfully for a few years now.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »
I once heard a radio broadcast of Pretre/VSO doing M8 from Vienna's Konzerthaus. The ending was tremendous.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 09:47:02 AM by barry guerrero »

Wolfbane

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 11:04:57 PM »
The M5 and M6 being released are both described as live recordings with the VSO.
Perhaps the M8 Barry heard will also be released in due course.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 06:34:08 AM »

I had that Shostakovich 12th on LP, and I thought it was excellent, too!  Against my better judgment, I sold it for more "Mahler Money!"
Maybe it'll come out on CD someday. I love Shostakovich's music, but the 12th is pretty bad. Pretre gives the work a nobility it doesn't really deserve. 

Offline techniquest

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »
I love Shostakovich's music, but the 12th is pretty bad. Pretre gives the work a nobility it doesn't really deserve.

Yes, Shostakovich wrote a few symphonies which were far less than excellent...12th, 6th, 3rd; 9th even. However, given the influence Mahler had on Shostakovich, maybe we should start a Shostakovich thread to save the risk of hijacking this Pretre/Mahler one.  :)

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 11:13:33 AM »
when it comes to Shostakovich, are you sure you guys aren't confusing Pretre for Andre Cluytens?

Offline techniquest

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 12:24:48 PM »
when it comes to Shostakovich, are you sure you guys aren't confusing Pretre for Andre Cluytens?

Not in relation to the recording of the 12th Symphony- I have the disc here: Classics for Pleasure CFP141; Shostakovich Symphony No.12 & Festive Overture; Philharmonia Orchestra, Georges Pretre. It's a 1963 recording. I have a CFP disc with Andre Cluytens conducting Prokofiev 5.
Sadly I have heard neither conduct Mahler.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 04:39:10 AM »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 07:04:31 AM »
They just don't make street protests like they used to.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 07:37:11 PM »
I never should have sold that LP.  It only got me a few $, and I never affiliate the Philharmonia with Shostakovich.

As for that New Year's Day concert, my friend ranked it up with the Herb and Carlos Kleiber concerts. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk