Author Topic: Bertini M9/Vienna Symphony/Weitblick  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Bertini M9/Vienna Symphony/Weitblick
« on: February 09, 2008, 04:19:23 AM »

I. 28:09
II. 15:27
III. 13:09
IV.28:29

This is a powerful and deeply moving M9 from February of 1985.  In interpretation it retains the hallmarks of his later recorded M9's but with "rougher" and edgy playing from the Vienna Symphony (even more rough than the TMSO), which brings a sense of innocence and discovery to the score.  There are mistakes heard here and there, yet Bertini guides the orchestra with strength and sculpts a performance that touches and uplifts.  The sound is quite good for a live recording, with a somewhat limited dynamic range, but with wonderful balance and detail in the louder climaxes (all three climaxes in the first movement are a highlight of this recording). 

Although not essential, I warmly recommend this for fans of Bertini's art.  This performance has nuances not heard in his other accounts and I wouldn't want to be without it.  The Adagio is on a par with his TMSO M9, but the straight, earnest quality of the strings and strong brass make this one of the most tender and life affirming Adagios I have ever heard.

Here is how I rank the three Bertini M9's:

TMSO/Fontec
Vienna Symphony/Weitblick
Rundfunk Sinfonie-orchester/EMI

--Todd

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 04:21:47 AM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

Re: Bertini M9/Vienna Symphony/Weitblick
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 07:23:31 PM »
For me, the sheer brilliance and total commitment of Bertini's German orchestra are the winning points and hence I will cast my vote for his EMI recording. The Japanese orchestra, OTOH, seems to run out of gas in a few places, although Bertini's interpretation undoubtedly has improved in that version.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 07:54:55 PM »
Yes, I also think the Bertini EMI M9 is very special, and an unforgettable performance with stellar playing (the best playing out of the three).  However, my list is partly based on sound quality, which is the reason I placed the EMI M9 third, otherwise it is a first rate M9!

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »
Yes, I also think the Bertini EMI M9 is very special, and an unforgettable performance with stellar playing (the best playing out of the three).  However, my list is partly based on sound quality, which is the reason I placed the EMI M9 third, otherwise it is a first rate M9!

--Todd
Yep, I've never warmed up to the murky and distant sound quality in the EMI recording. They could have done a better job in Tokyo.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:24:49 PM »
This M9th is distinguished by Bertini's well controlled leadership and the smooth orchestral playing by VSO. The recording sound, which is a production of OTF, is pretty good too (much better than their Rattle/VPO M9th) but the orchestra's brass and woodwind sections make a few mistakes that are quite noticeable. This is surprising considering that they should have been well established in playing Mahler by the mid 80's in which it was recorded. But otherwise, well worth seeking for.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk