Author Topic: M9 pannel: Scwhartz vs. Rattle; which one?  (Read 3320 times)

Offline barry guerrero

M9 pannel: Scwhartz vs. Rattle; which one?
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:54:06 PM »
OK,

I'd like to ask our illustrious pannel of Mahler 9 buffs, which one? I see that the Schwarz M9 (Artek) is just as cheap as the Rattle. Have any of you heard the EMI issue of Rattle yet (and not just the download)? I can't afford the Macal one, so it'll have to be one of these two. Sound is a factor for me.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: M9 pannel: Scwhartz vs. Rattle; which one?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 04:56:20 PM »
Barry, in many ways it's hard to choose, as both have really good sound and performance. 

In considering the details of the orchestration I enjoyed hearing between both recordings, I'd say the Schwarz is better overall, and that includes his masterful structering of the work as a whole, and his climaxes in I and in the Adagio are better...especially in the Adagio!  I also think the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic has a little more character and atmopshere, with the strings not dominating the sound picture as they do in the Rattle.   

May the Schwarz be with you!

I have yet to hear the CD release of the Rattle, but I'm not certain it's sound would be radically better than it is already.  I look forward to it's release though.

--Todd
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:00:36 PM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

Re: M9 pannel: Scwhartz vs. Rattle; which one?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 05:08:41 PM »
Barry,

I have not heard the Schwarz yet but based on what I heard in a live concert of SSO two years ago (which is pretty close to what Todd has described about the CD), I'd say go for the Schwarz over the Rattle. I once raved about the Rattle but after I heard his live Carnegie concert and compared his M9th with the two other versions - Macal and Schwarz - my conclusion is that although BPO may have excelled the other orchestras in their technical functions, overall both the Macal and Schwarz have better structures, better idiomatic playing and sonics. Of course, the Macal M9th takes the crown of the three, but if you can't afford it get the Schwarz.

Regards,

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk