Author Topic: Ashkenazy / Sydney M10 (Barshai version)  (Read 10506 times)

Offline hrandall

Ashkenazy / Sydney M10 (Barshai version)
« on: September 13, 2012, 05:00:04 PM »
I recently saw on InstantEncore a note about and heard a sample from the upcoming Ashkenazy / Sydney M10 release and am eager to purchase it. As far as I know, this will only be the second release featuring the Barshai version of the score.

I'm having trouble finding any definite release information though. Can anyone enlighten us? Usually Amazon or iTunes in the US will sell the digital tracks, but so far I don't see anything there. I'd be most interested in a physical CD of this one, though.

Cheers,
Herb Randall

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Ashkenazy / Sydney M10 (Barshai version)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 03:47:07 AM »
Herb,

I'm also fairly certain that this will be only the second recording of the Barshai. I wish another one of the Samale/Mazzuca would come out.

Offline hrandall

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »
Has anyone managed to find a source to buy this recording in the US? Or anywhere, for that matter? I can only see it listed directly from the Sydney orchestra's site but they only ship within Australia. So far there's been no sign of digital files being available either.

Thanks,
Herb

Offline justininsf

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »
How is Ashkenazy as a conductor?  Not specifically for Mahler, but just in general?

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »
How is Ashkenazy as a conductor?  Not specifically for Mahler, but just in general?

In my experience he's quite good in general and very good with Mahler—much more successful than most soloist-to-conductor converts.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 01:49:56 AM »
Ashkenazy is a very good, all around conductor.  He does what the scores say to do, and doesn't try to insert his own ego into the process. I also really like his Mahler, although I haven't heard his rendering of the Barshai 10th (which I'll bet is better than Barshai's own). Anyway, you can get these recordings directly from the Sydney Symphony or ABC in Australia. The problem is, the shipping is expensive.

http://www.sydneysymphony.com/watch-listen/audio-video/sydney-symphony-shop.aspx

http://shop.abc.net.au/products?utf8=%E2%9C%93&keywords=mahler

You can also get some of them in MP3 form from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_srch_drd_B004SKQS04?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=Sydney%20Symphony%2C%20Vladimir%20Ashkenazy&index=digital-music&search-type=ss
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 02:01:32 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 02:14:09 AM »
Unfortunately, for anyone wanting the Ashkenazy recording of Barshai's M10:

1) Amazon doesn't offer it as a download;
2) ABC doesn't have it available as a CD; and
3) The Sydney Symphony Store has it available as a CD, but doesn't ship product outside of Australia.

So for the moment we're out of luck. Anyone know of any other sources? I've heard the Allegro pesante movement via Instant Encore and it certainly sounds promising.

James

EDIT: Ashkenazy's single drum stroke at the end of the fourth movement is the most appropriate I've heard in any of the M10 recordings I own. It's a dry sound from a rather small drum and it's played at a good solid f, not fff so as to knock you out of your chair—just the sort of sound I can imagine hearing at a fireman's funeral in NYC near the beginning of the last century.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:37:42 AM by James Meckley »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 08:58:59 AM »
 "Ashkenazy's single drum stroke at the end of the fourth movement is the most appropriate I've heard in any of the M10 recordings I own. It's a dry sound from a rather small drum and it's played at a good solid f, not fff so as to knock you out of your chair—just the sort of sound I can imagine hearing at a fireman's funeral in NYC near the beginning of the last century."

I completely relate to your comments on the solo drum issue. Thanks for pointing this out.

Offline waderice

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 01:22:31 PM »
"Ashkenazy's single drum stroke at the end of the fourth movement is the most appropriate I've heard in any of the M10 recordings I own. It's a dry sound from a rather small drum and it's played at a good solid f, not fff so as to knock you out of your chair—just the sort of sound I can imagine hearing at a fireman's funeral in NYC near the beginning of the last century."

I completely relate to your comments on the solo drum issue. Thanks for pointing this out.

I too, agree on the dynamic level of the bass drum stroke.  I recently listened to Levine's recording made here in Philly, and definitely felt it was too, too loud.

Wade

Offline brunumb

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 12:59:32 AM »
There is a shop in Sydney called Fish Fine Music that has the Ashkenazy M10 on its list and appears to offer overseas shipping.

http://www.fishfinemusic.com.au/products/SSO201202/Sydney-Symphony-Orchestra-Vladimir-Ashkenazy/Mahler-Symphony-No-10/CD

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 01:15:40 AM »
There is a shop in Sydney called Fish Fine Music that has the Ashkenazy M10 on its list and appears to offer overseas shipping.

Thanks for the tip!

James

Offline akiralx

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 03:10:45 AM »
Readings carry them (as does every music store here in Melbourne!) and they ship overseas:

http://www.readings.com.au/search/results?query=ashkenazy+mahler&x=45&y=17&music=1

I've heard VA conduct quite a few times and he is very fine.  He's given up performing as a pianist now, owing to arthritis.  He did a very good Shostakovich 10 in Sydney I enjoyed a few months ago.

Offline brunumb

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 06:01:10 AM »
I don't like the drum strokes in this recording.  To me they sound like someone dropping their toolbox.

If the inspiration for the drum stroke was the funeral procession Mahler heard from his upper floor apartment, then I would much prefer a more distant, muted thud.  In most recordings it is way too loud.  The subsequent strokes should get louder then diminish again.  The drum strokes to me herald an interlude of introspection before the music resumes its original direction.

Offline hrandall

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the information. What a great resource the Gustav Mahler Board is!

Best,
Herb

Offline Prospero

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 02:48:08 PM »
Thanks for the lead on the Ashkenazy Barshai M10. I found the original Barshai to be quite convincing, and I look forward to this version.

All this information is much appreciated.

Tom in Vermont

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk