Author Topic: Haitink M9 - Prom 5, July 20 2009  (Read 10852 times)

Offline nickmolland

Haitink M9 - Prom 5, July 20 2009
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:28:46 PM »
Now up on Dime, for those interested:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=258622

Cheers!

Nick

Offline John Kim

Re: Haitink M9 - Prom 5, July 20 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »
You can listen to the entire performance here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00lqycv/BBC_Proms_2009_Prom_05_Mahlers_9th_Symphony_20_07_2009/

This is a splendid M9th, albeit somewhat autumnal and meditative.

John,

Offline Russell

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:57:31 AM »
Thanks for the link, John.  I just finished recording the streaming audio.  Sounded pretty good!

Russell

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 04:47:35 AM »
I was going to post about this but I see someone else has already gotten to it! :)

Needless to say it's not too great that I found this at 11:30 at night, but heck, at this rate I'm going to listen to the whole thing.  A big thanks to the BBC for making this audio available!  I will post my thoughts later.
Michael

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 06:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the heads up gentleman.  A Haitink M9 is always an event...can't wait to hear this.

Nick, I tried to register at Dime to download the performance, but apparently they're not allowing registrations at this time...any chance of uploading the file here?

Thanks again,

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:40:09 AM »
"A Hatink M9 is always an event"   .   .
That's because everything Haitink conducts ends up sounding like Mahler 9, so he gets lots of practice at it  ;)

Offline nickmolland

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 12:32:25 PM »
Leo wrote:

Nick, I tried to register at Dime to download the performance, but apparently they're not allowing registrations at this time...any chance of uploading the file here?

I'd be delighted to, if someone can tell me how - it's a .flac file, by the way, if that makes any difference!

Cheers

Nick

Offline nickmolland

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 01:00:53 PM »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »
The timings I took are

So, it is a slow performance except for IV.

But I liked it very much overall.

If not as intense and sharply focused as his LPO concert ten years ago, it was still a splendid M9th, purposefully slow, autumnal and meditative but with plenty of Mahlerian grandeur and power.

John,

Offline Michael

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 11:33:56 PM »
I am curious, how does one upload something here?
Michael

Offline Michael

Haitink M9 atThe Proms: A Satisfying Account
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 08:49:17 PM »
I started listening to the Haitink M9 at about 11:30 at night—a time when I should have been sleeping in preparation for a half day of summer school the next day.  But…this was something I was looking forward to hearing…so I decided to ignore the time.

As others have already indicated, this is a wonderful M9.  The first movement seemed to be more expansive than I had previously heard under other conductors (my personal favorite is the Rattle/BPO version), and I felt as though Haitink brought out different details in the score that I previously had not noticed, particularly in the later part of the first movement.  Haitink’s first movement was gripping, a feeling that I got during the entire performance.

The Landler also took the listener for a ride.  It did not have the hardened sound of Rattle and the BPO, but that's okay because I have never heard such a delicious crunch on the violins in the opening of the Landler (as I did under Rattle) in any other performances.

The Rondo is what I remember most about this performance—not the elegiac fourth movement, but the Rondo.  I had never really liked the Rondo because the melody was—as Mahler intended—unpleasant.  For the first time, though, I got a real feel for what I think Mahler was trying to say: this is a fast-paced, unemotional approach to the hardships of life.

The fourth movement was more reserved than I had expected—but, admittedly, I haven’t ever heard Haitink conduct an M9 before.  It had a feeling of "getting on with it", something that was just fine with Haitink's interpretation.  The strings did not sound as full as in some other recordings I have heard, but that is not necessarily bad because it gave a different feeling to the movement.  Instead of living in the twilight of something wonderful (life for Mahler), you are instead watching someone live it, almost as though you are reading their story in a book.  You know what is happening, but Haitink’s Proms M9 did not tap into the all-out emotionalism I have heard…at least for me.  I stress that I do not hold this against Haitink and the orchestra; it is a different interpretation that brings different feelings.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:50:56 PM by AMTK62 »
Michael

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 02:15:31 AM »
Just seen this on another list, for those that don't mind Rapidshare and/or mp3:

http://rapidshare.com/files/258310964/Mahler_9_Haitink.LSO.20_July_09.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/258315997/Mahler_9_Haitink.LSO.20_July_09.part2.rar

Cheers

Nick

Nick, thanks a lot!  This is exactly what I was looking for...downloading now!

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Haitink M9 atThe Proms: A Satisfying Account
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 02:18:06 AM »
I started listening to the Haitink M9 at about 11:30 at night—a time when I should have been sleeping in preparation for a half day of summer school the next day.  But…this was something I was looking forward to hearing…so I decided to ignore the time.

As others have already indicated, this is a wonderful M9.  The first movement seemed to be more expansive than I had previously heard under other conductors (my personal favorite is the Rattle/BPO version), and I felt as though Haitink brought out different details in the score that I previously had not noticed, particularly in the later part of the first movement.  Haitink’s first movement was gripping, a feeling that I got during the entire performance.

The Landler also took the listener for a ride.  It did not have the hardened sound of Rattle and the BPO, but that was okay because I have never heard such a delicious crunch on the violins in the opening of the Landler as I did under Rattle.

The Rondo is what I remember most about this performance—not the elegiac fourth movement, but the Rondo.  I have never really liked the Rondo because the melody was—as Mahler intended—unpleasant.  For the first time, though, I got a real feel for what I think Mahler was trying to say: this is a fast-paced, unemotional approach to the hardships of life.

The fourth movement was more reserved than I had expected—but, admittedly, I haven’t ever heard Haitink conduct an M9 before.  The strings did not sound as full as in some other recordings I have heard, but that is not necessarily bad because it gave a different feeling to the movement.  Instead of living in the twilight of something wonderful (life for Mahler), you are instead watching someone live it, almost as though you are reading their story in a book.  You know what is happening, but Haitink’s Proms M9 did not tap into the all-out emotionalism I have heard…at least for me.  I stress that I do not hold this against Haitink and the orchestra; it is a different interpretation that brings different feelings.

Nice review AMT...now I'm really looking forward to the performance.

--Todd

Offline Michael

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 09:55:57 PM »
What did you think, Leo?

I am going to look into Rapidshare to see about downloading this file for another listen--no, I can't resist.  Besides...I cut it off during the applause so didn't get to listen to the other 25-30 minutes after that, which I assume is just interviews and such.
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 05:52:08 AM »
The timings I took are

So, it is a slow performance except for IV.

But I liked it very much overall.

If not as intense and sharply focused as his LPO concert ten years ago, it was still a splendid M9th, purposefully slow, autumnal and meditative but with plenty of Mahlerian grandeur and power.

John,
I listened to the recording again tonight.

This is a magnificent Mahler Ninth indeed. The sound given on the web really excellent; it's nearly of a demonstration quality. The playing by LSO is, as always with this orchestra, very special when it comes to Mahler - idiosyncratic, sharp but also warm and fully sympathetic. And Haitink's reading is all that I can ask for. After all, he turned 80 and what other kind of interpretation can we  expect from him? His reading is slow and reflective but also is full of Mahlerian grandeur (for lack of words) while hitting all the important marks. Thanks to the alert and expereinced London players, Haitink's M9th doesn't sink as it easily could have.

A top notch Mahler Ninth by all accounts.

I wish some company has recorded the concert for a commercial release.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk