Author Topic: OT: Mehta/VPO Schumann cycle avaible from Australia (Eloquence)  (Read 10742 times)

Offline barry guerrero

OT: Mehta/VPO Schumann cycle avaible from Australia (Eloquence)
« on: February 22, 2007, 07:38:42 AM »
This 9/8 review was posted by Jed Distler at Classicstoday. I don't have much memory of a Mehta/VPO Schumann cycle from the good-old vinyl days.  However, I do own a Mehta/VPO Bruckner 9th, also on Decca, that I feel is really very good. Anyway, you can only get this box from Buywell in Australia. Here goes:

ROBERT SCHUMANN

Symphonies Nos. 1-4; Manfred Overture; Genoveva Overture

Vienna Philharmonic

Zubin Mehta

Eloquence- 476 9771(CD)
Reference Recording - Barenboim (Warner); Bernstein (DG); Sawallisch (EMI)

According to Eloquence, Zubin Mehta's 1976-1981 Schumann symphony cycle with the Vienna Philharmonic makes its first CD appearance here. It holds its own alongside three other superb contenders involving the same orchestra: Bernstein (DG), Muti (Philips), and Solti (Decca). Although Mehta does not match Bernstein's elemental abandon nor Muti's sveltely lyrical slow movements, his authoritative, deeply felt leadership inspires full-throated, highly articulated orchestral playing full of life and character. This partly is due to Mehta's astutely-judged tempos. For example, the conductor emphasizes the "Spring" symphony finale's "grazioso" melodicism and polyphonic interplay, thereby creating a stronger "animato" sense than we glean from faster yet less inflected, texturally varied performances.

The slow introductions to the Second and Fourth symphonies effortlessly and logically dovetail into their subsequent allegros, while the "Rhenish" first movement proves that swiftness and tonal heft are not mutually exclusive. Like Solti, Mehta allows the Vienna Philharmonic's unique brass sonorities and sweetly singing yet never cloying strings their full due. Intense, dramatic, and committed performances of the Manfred and Genoveva Overtures fill out this most welcome reissue.

--Jed Distler

BorisG

Re: OT: Mehta/VPO Schumann cycle avaible from Australia (Eloquence)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 05:21:02 PM »
This 9/8 review was posted by Jed Distler at Classicstoday. I don't have much memory of a Mehta/VPO Schumann cycle from the good-old vinyl days.  However, I do own a Mehta/VPO Bruckner 9th, also on Decca, that I feel is really very good. Anyway, you can only get this box from Buywell in Australia. Here goes:

ROBERT SCHUMANN

Symphonies Nos. 1-4; Manfred Overture; Genoveva Overture

Vienna Philharmonic

Zubin Mehta

Eloquence- 476 9771(CD)
Reference Recording - Barenboim (Warner); Bernstein (DG); Sawallisch (EMI)

According to Eloquence, Zubin Mehta's 1976-1981 Schumann symphony cycle with the Vienna Philharmonic makes its first CD appearance here. It holds its own alongside three other superb contenders involving the same orchestra: Bernstein (DG), Muti (Philips), and Solti (Decca). Although Mehta does not match Bernstein's elemental abandon nor Muti's sveltely lyrical slow movements, his authoritative, deeply felt leadership inspires full-throated, highly articulated orchestral playing full of life and character. This partly is due to Mehta's astutely-judged tempos. For example, the conductor emphasizes the "Spring" symphony finale's "grazioso" melodicism and polyphonic interplay, thereby creating a stronger "animato" sense than we glean from faster yet less inflected, texturally varied performances.

The slow introductions to the Second and Fourth symphonies effortlessly and logically dovetail into their subsequent allegros, while the "Rhenish" first movement proves that swiftness and tonal heft are not mutually exclusive. Like Solti, Mehta allows the Vienna Philharmonic's unique brass sonorities and sweetly singing yet never cloying strings their full due. Intense, dramatic, and committed performances of the Manfred and Genoveva Overtures fill out this most welcome reissue.

--Jed Distler

Nothing special. Reach for the preferences plus Muti's EMI or Philips.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk