Author Topic: Bernstein/Cleveland M2; Tennstedt 1989 M2  (Read 4710 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Bernstein/Cleveland M2; Tennstedt 1989 M2
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:07:38 AM »
I know these two recordings are an old topic now. I've finally, FINALLY had the opportunity to hear them. They're both very good, obviously, but I think the Bernstein/Cleveland one is truly special. I think this Cleveland one is just as good as his original N.Y. one for Columbia, even though the sound quality isn't the best.

Anyway, between these two recordings,
Tennstedt obviously has the better pipe organ. I like Bernstein's mezzo better (who is she?). Also, the Cleveland gongs - both the low and high pitched tam-tams - sound a bit small (and thus, high pitched). But, there's that certain Bernstein magic - in spades! And, although the Cleveland trumpets are a bit too close to the microphones, the Cleveland low brass section is to die for. As a tuba player, I LOVE Ron Bishop's playing.

During the Dohnanyi years, Ron Bishop was forced to use a smaller tuba (a Miraphone 184, I believe). But here, you get to hear him on his excellent, old Alexander. If you think I might be exaggerating R.B.'s superlative playing (or don't think it's an important point), just listen to him on the Cleveland recordings of Prokofiev's "Cinderella" (Ashkenazy); "R. & J." (Maazel); Prokofiev's 5th (Maazel); 6th symphony (Ashkenazy), or the Respighi "Roman Trilogy" (Maazel). Trust me, you'll soon dig the difference.

Anyway, regarding the Tennstedt M2: yes, it's very good - better than I had expected. But I still prefer the performance he gave at R.F.H. in 1980. The tempi in that performance weren't quite so exaggerated (nobody does exaggeration better than Bernstein!). Interpretively speaking, it was closer to his EMI studio recording. Still, good is good. From here, I'm very much looking forward to the Paavo Jarvi/Frankfurt R.S.O. M2 that'll be coming out on Virgin Classics.  
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:18:13 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline brunumb

Re: Bernstein/Cleveland M2; Tennstedt 1989 M2
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 08:56:50 AM »
Hi Barry,
Can you tell us anything about Bernstein's performance of Mahler’s 'Resurrection' Symphony with the Boston Symphony at Tanglewood on July 5, 1970 ? 
He apparently nearly fell backwards off the podium at the conclusion.  I was wondering if a recording exists and if it is worth tracking down.

Offline bruce

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:34:25 PM »
I don't know about Lenny's balance problems with that M2, but I do know that the Cleveland performance (which I recently secured from Classical Video Rarities) includes lots of podium stomping and humming not unlike what is heard in LB's Tanglewood BSO Mahler 9. Frankly I was surprised at how well the two Cleveland CDRs sounded: good stereo with low level hiss throughout and a glitch at the end of the allegro maestoso. That's it though, and you can realy hear the organ at the end. It certainly sounds better both as a recording and a performance than the recently released French RTF Bernstein M2.

Offline waderice

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »
Some comments and clarifications about what's been mentioned in the posts thus far for this thread:

The Bernstein/Cleveland M2 was performed at the Cleveland Orchestra's summer home at the Blossom Music Festival, which is an outside venue close to Cleveland similar to the Tanglewood Music Shed.  So it should be expected that the organ in a concert hall such as that in Tennstedt's performance would sound better.  Quite likely, the organ in the Cleveland performance was electronic.  Bernstein's mezzo-soprano soloist was Christa Ludwig; the soprano was Lorna Heywood.  Heywood was the soprano in the performances I was involved with in the Dorati/Washington performances of April, 1973.

Though I'm not sure of the exact date of the Cleveland performance, I DO KNOW that it was done in early July, 1970, very shortly before George Szell died.  I seem to recall that it was July 9.  I don't think Bernstein would perform M2 more than once within a week with different orchestras without adequate rehearsal.  I didn't know Bernstein performed M2 at Tanglewood, though that's not impossible.  I think brunumb may either have dates or ensembles confused here.

It should be expected that Bernstein's Cleveland performance would be better and sound better than the French RTF.  Though I don't have at hand presently, the RTF performance date, I believe it had to have been at least a dozen years before the Cleveland.  Bernstein had obviously gained more experience in performing the work by 1970, and concerts by this time were being recorded in decent stereo.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 05:42:55 PM »
If that was recorded at the Blossom Festival, then we're lucy to have such a good sounding source at all. I had a hunch that it was an electronic organ, but I didn't want to speculate. I'm also not sure if Severence Hall even had its own pipe organ in those days. Anyway, thank you for presenting the facts. It doesn't surprise me that Bernstein's mezzo was the amazing Christa Ludwig.

Barry

Offline brunumb

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 09:17:05 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk