Author Topic: Inbal/TMSO/Mahler 6  (Read 7884 times)

Offline ChrisH

Inbal/TMSO/Mahler 6
« on: February 05, 2015, 09:21:01 PM »
This is a very well put together Mahler 6. Rhythmically taught, strong when it needs to be, and very subtle at other times. I've always felt that most recordings of this work are very nostalgic, our hero seems to be looking back on battle past. This recording is very in the moment, and forward looking; even the adagio, which is placed as the 3rd movement.

The 1st movements moves along at a good pace, you could actually march to it. It is strong with out being heavy, and very direct, but not with out tons of subtle tempo changes. He makes each iteration of the march theme slightly different in tone and color, he does the same with the 'Alma theme' and its variations. This is something I really like. Inbal does not stop to smell the roses, just keeps pushing forward to the goal.

Inbal gives, to my ears, a very different Scherzo. He doesn't use tempo to differentiate it from the first movement. He uses tone, color and texture to give a different sound to this movement. It's very plucky, and raw. Playful and slightly terrifying at times.

This Adagio does not look back, but forward. It flows very nicely, with connected lines and sensitive, dynamic playing. Inbal really uses this movement to set us up for the finale. It has this feeling that something is coming, and it's going to be a big deal, but let's just relax a moment. He really brings out the lower strings lines, this brings out some slight tension underneath the surface. Also, the cowbells are really good, not quite Zinman level though. I really like their cowbells.

The Finale of Mahler 6 has always come across as a very apocalyptic/end of the world type feeling. Fate crashing down, the eerie muted marches, and of course, the hammer blows. Something more positive is found in this recording, it shows that there is light in the cracks between the darkness.  Inbal is very successful in the large moments, his horns, trumpets, trombone and tuba really let it go when called for. The percussion are captured beautifully and with realistic impact. It's the smaller moments, though, that are really amazing to my ears. Such subtle playing, and listening by the orchestra. Every line is long and connected. Every staccato is seperated, and seemingly every little dynamic mark is followed. It's quite something, honestly.

Positive and Mahler 6 are not words I'd have thought would go together so well. In Inbals hands it works very well. It's nice to have some light at the end of the tunnel, this comes across with stunning clarity. The TMSO are a special orchestra. I generally don't hear orchestras play this well together. It's like they are actually listening to what each other is doing. I would give this recording a hearty recommendation.

Offline John Kim

Re: Inbal/TMSO/Mahler 6
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 03:41:45 AM »
I second. This is a fabulous M6th, a different take on the work but very efficient and revealing. The sound is drop dead gorgeous (as is the rest of the cycle).

It's probably not as INTENSE as other versions including Inbal's own previous one with FRSO. But he compensates for the lack of intensity by the subtle, refreshing touches in places.

John

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 09:01:04 AM »
Really, Bertini and Inbal were the two best in that period after Bernstein's passing. Thankfully, one of them is still going strong. Amazing! Me - I had a slight preference for Bertini's Mahler, but they're both really good. I could easily live with just Inbal.

Offline dieter03

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 12:10:41 AM »
The Denon Inbal set is wonderful. I really rate Inbal, switched on the radio once, a Bruckner first was playing and the amount of detail was staggering: it was Inbal.
Which band is the TMSO?

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 01:35:50 AM »
Which band is the TMSO?

It's the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra.

The Inbal Bruckner recordings are good, but he uses mostly early, non-standard editions of the symphonies; that could be a plus or a minus, depending on where you are in your exploration of Bruckner's works.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline akiralx

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 11:40:20 PM »
There seems to be two incarnations of this TMSO recording on SACD: one on Fontec, the other on Exton - I assume they are the same?

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 12:51:42 AM »
There seems to be two incarnations of this TMSO recording on SACD: one on Fontec, the other on Exton - I assume they are the same?

At this point, I have to assume they're not the same. Although information on the matter is a bit hard to come by, an online discography in Japanese which I've found to be reliable in the past lists the following three different M6 recordings by Inbal (label/recording date):

DENON 1986
FONTEC 2007 (live)
EXTON 2013 (live)

Perhaps someone who owns one or both of these recordings (Fontec and Exton) can provide more information.

James
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:20:42 PM by James Meckley »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 06:32:24 AM »
I think all three are different. However, I have Gary Bertini/TMSO (or some other top Tokyo orchestra) M6 from the '90s, on Fontec, that I think is really outstanding.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 10:24:17 AM »
I think all three are different. However, I have Gary Bertini/TMSO (or some other top Tokyo orchestra) M6 from the '90s, on Fontec, that I think is really outstanding.

I have the TMSO/Bertini M9 on SACD which I also think is excellent.

Offline umbernisitani

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 03:33:11 AM »
Is Barry referring to this recording about Bertini/TMSO Mahler 6?
http://is2.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Music/v4/ef/2c/ba/ef2cbac1-d08c-ecd1-721a-9775ec6c1a38/source/709x709sr.jpg
If so, it's recorded on 30 June 2002.  My order of a box that contains all the Mahler that Bertini recorded for TMSO on Fontec (4, 6-10, Das Lied and Kindertotenlieder) has just arrived and I'm listening to the Fourth.

About Inbal's Tokyo Mahler 6, not too long ago I bought the 2013 recording on Exton.  All in all a very good performance, and I especially admired the first movement's perfect pacing and the andante's clarity of textures.  Inbal doesn't have a particularly distinctive interpretation but he never puts a foot wrong, as does the marvellous orchestra whose playing is really nothing less than first rate.  Had someone with a major label contract took leadership of and recorded with this orchestra I'm sure the stature of this orchestra would grow exponentially.

Offline Andrew-Kenneth

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 07:07:57 PM »
FONTEC 2007 (live)
EXTON 2013 (live)

Perhaps someone who owns one or both of these recordings (Fontec and Exton) can provide more information.

James

I own both, and yes, they're different recordings.

The Fontec 6th was recorded on dec 19th 2007 at Suntory Hall. (Tokyo)
It's a live recording. (with applause at the end)
This 6th fits on one SACD.
This disc clocks in at 78 min. 20 sec. (with applause)
Allegro : 22:55 - scherzo : 13:03 - andante  14:26 - finale 27:38 (finale with applause 28:18)

The Exton 6th was recorded on november 2nd & 3rd 2013 at Yokohama Minato-Mirai Hall, Tokyo Metropolitan Theatre.
It's also recorded live (on two nights) without applause.
This is a 2-SACD set.
It's slightly slower than the Fontec release.
Allegro : 23:42 - Scherzo : 13:15 - andante : 14:39 - finale 29:07

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 04:13:44 AM »
I own both, and yes, they're different recordings.

[Additional information snipped]

Thank you, Sir.

Offline virtuoso

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 12:22:55 PM »

At this point, I have to assume they're not the same. Although information on the matter is a bit hard to come by, an online discography in Japanese which I've found to be reliable in the past lists the following three different M6 recordings by Inbal (label/recording date):

DENON 1986
FONTEC 2007 (live)
EXTON 2013 (live)

James

I own the EXTON and FONTEC recordings as well, I think the FONTEC's Andante is a little dull, but the EXTON's Andante is unbelievably touching. In his late years as Principal Conductor of TMSO, Inbal developed a much more free style, really brings all the emotions out of every Mahler Synphony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk