Author Topic: SHM-SACD Reissue of Abbado/Chicago SO Mahler 5  (Read 4637 times)

Offline SteelyTom

SHM-SACD Reissue of Abbado/Chicago SO Mahler 5
« on: February 01, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »
With apologies if this has already been discussed (I took an initial look), Universal Japan is reissuing Abbado's Chicago recording of M5 in SHM-SACD (single-layer) format, on one disc.  The analogue recording was made in 2/80 in Orchestra Hall.  Here's a link to cdjapan, which has a modicum of info on the DSD remastering: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCGG-9094

I've got the SHM-SACD version of Karajan's M6, which blew me away anew, both as performance and recording.  Any thoughts on Abbado's Chicago Fifth and where it stands in the firmament?  (Fwiw, I'm aware it's been reissued on redbook CD and that there are, what, seven other Abbado recordings of the work out there.....)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: SHM-SACD Reissue of Abbado/Chicago SO Mahler 5
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 05:49:14 AM »
Hi Tom. That recording was made right on the cusp between analog and digital. I remember it sounding analog early on, then switching to digital sometime before the finale (the Levine Mahler 10 did that too). I could be wrong, but I remember it sounding very different as it went along. The first movement, as I recall, had a fair amount of tam-tam; more so than with his Berlin remake. Personally, I was never crazy about Abbado in the 5th symphony.

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 04:55:22 PM »
Hmm, that doesn't sound like a good report.  I was hoping, sonically speaking, for something akin to Karajan's late analogue-era studio recording of M9, but if that's not on offer, my interest diminishes.  (I have a sentimental attachment to well-done recordings of the late analogue era, Haitink's RCO DLvdE, for example.)

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
....And, in fact, DG's website, which gives recording information (venue, format etc.) for each movement of the recordings on the site, indicates that I-III were recorded to analogue tape, and IV-V were recorded in 16/44.1 redbook digital (back in February, 1980).  Heavens.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 06:37:09 PM »
I do have good ears. Tom, what DG site are you using?   .   .    .   I'd love to get a look at that site. I don't think the American DG site would show ANY Japanese releases. Nor do I think it would give such info. for each movements (wow).

Beware of the Levine/Philly M10, as RCA did the same exact thing. The first movement sounds fine.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:38:57 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 06:54:23 PM »
Barry, kudos on the ears (nothing sounds sweeter than vintage redbook digital, after all), and you're right, the Universal Japan material isn't to be found (afaik) on the English-language version of the DG website that I Googled.  However, the Abbado recording is there (as a redbook CD), and if you click on each movement, a window pops up with pretty complete-looking recording info.  I've used the DG site for these sorts of issues in the past.....  Here's a link (I hope) to the Abbado.  http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/4741692

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 07:16:45 PM »
You know, Tom, the exact same recording is available at a 'budget' price on DG's Virtuoso series. I picked up Abbado's Vienna Mahler 9 this way, which they put onto one disc (talk about a bargain!). The Abbado/VPO 9th was remastered, so maybe the CSO 5th would be as well. It'll save you some dough.

https://www.amazon.com/Virtuoso-Chicago-Orchestra-Claudio-Abbado/dp/B006IIA206/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1486235626&sr=1-2&keywords=mahler+5+abbado

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk