Author Topic: Seattle Mariners baseball really gets my blood pressure pumped up (OOT)  (Read 10140 times)

Offline John Kim

For those who have been following the latest development in MLB games, I can't really get by without expressing my frustration here. A team that was leading the Wild Card in the American League a week ago with 2 games ahead of NY Yankees, and only 1 game behind the lead in the AL West division, is now facing a fatal collapse after 8 games losing steak since then; 2 losses against Texas Ranges followed by 3 against LA Angles, 1 against Cleveland Indians, and now 2 against Toronto Blue Jays including today's game. It is team's season high losing streak, and if my gut feeling is right they will lose 4 more in the next 4 days; 1 more in Toronto tomorrow and then, yes, 3 in New York! And who knows, they may lose another 3 against Detroit right after that. I've been following their games rather closely and what I've observed so far is akin to a miracle. It looks like either they've totally lost their confidence all of sudden, or they're looking for every possible way to lose for some reason. The biggest problem is the pitching. All of their ace pitchers have lost last week; even the most reliable Miguel Batista lost today, 1-2. They have been allowing quite many runs every game and one pitcher's problem seems to have infected another like a disease. The best was Batista who pitched well today, but Seattle's offense simply went flat.

Mariners had 11 losing game streak last year or two years ago, but what's ahead of them in this year is even more damaging.

They are indeed playing like a bunch of high school boys.

My blood pressure has been skyrocketing...and finally decided to root for another team from now on. Perhaps Angeles will triumph all the way.

Question:

What is the longest losing streak in the history of MLB game?

Oh, my, my,.... :-[ :-\ :'(

Offline sbugala

Re: Seattle Mariners baseball really gets my blood pressure pumped up (OOT)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 04:23:37 AM »
I'm a NL guy myself who roots for the Cards, but I have a soft spot for the Mariners because of Ichiro. I haven't checked the Mariners lately, but last time I did, it seemed Jeff Weaver kinda turned himself around after doing abysmally. 

Perhaps they can reverse the downward trend. Baseball is funny like that.  You never know what might happen.

Hang in there!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 05:31:47 AM »
If you want long term frustration, talk to a Giants fan - like me!

My bet is that the Marriners aren't going to lose all their games in N.Y. I just have a hunch about that. I think it's the Yankees who are going to have a stunning collapse at the end. Then again, I'm always hoping that. You mentioned that Batiste lost, but it was only by one run. With a bit more offense, the Marriners would have won that game. I agree with sbugala; hang in there.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 06:01:03 AM »
But there are really tough games waiting for the Mariners in the following week - three in NY, 3 in Detroit. These teams will pound them with all their strengths because they are both hanging in there for the AL Wild Card lead. What disappoints me most is that when one or two players go slump others can make up for it but if all of them are going downhill there is no fix. That's what's happening here. Look at the pitching, look at the batting. What about the poor management?Mariners are in a free fall in every aspects. Worse still, they can't have enough rest for the time being, not until they come back home 9/10. But by then their fate for the post season will already be determined.

Well, my guess may turn out to be wrong and I hope it will. But what's the point? Even if they manage to move to the postseason it's hard to imagine they will make through ALCS, let alone World Series.

John,

Ivor

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 09:52:23 AM »
  Can I say here that i hope Tottenham Hotspur start picking up some wins in the English Premiership.

Ivor

Vatz Relham

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »
  Can I say here that i hope Tottenham Hotspur start picking up some wins in the English Premiership.

Ivor

Ivor,

Yes I can understand your concern, but I think Derby fans are the real ones who need to be worried after being humiliated by Liverpool 6-0. Looks like thier not quite ready for the Premiership?

It's nice to see Man City doing well so far...

Vatz

Ivor

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 02:50:18 PM »
  I agree, Vatz. I'm not worried, just annoyed.

Ivor

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 06:19:50 PM »
  I'm not worried, just annoyed.

Ivor

Me too. Whatever happened to Gustav Mahler? ???

. & '

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
Whatever happened to Gustav Mahler?

It's Labor Day weekend, and he's at either a Mets or Yankees game.

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 08:44:05 PM »
Whatever happened to Gustav Mahler?
It's Labor Day weekend, and he's at either a Mets or Yankees game.

Whew! That's a relief!

Well done, Barry.

. & '

Offline bluesbreaker

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 01:17:05 AM »
Since I am from Taiwan, Everytime I see Wang my blood got stirred up. Go Wang! Go the Yankees! ;D
Under The Dark Side Of The Glass Moon

Offline sbugala

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 01:57:06 AM »
Just remember, at the start of the year, the Cardinals couldn't buy a win.  Now, they're playing some decent baseball, and are capable of winning the NL Central Division.  Some timely hitting and decent pitching could lead to some good things.

The AL West just seems soooo weird to me since there are only four teams in the division.  How does that balance out, I wonder?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 02:03:29 AM »
Mariners lost again today. 9 consecutive losses. Beginning tomorrow they are up against Yankees for 3 games. Guess what? Three more losses seem a sure thing for this team. 12 consecutive losses...wow (Mariners's longest losing streak is 11). That will be the end of their season.

Who's fault is this? I put my blame on the manager & its owner...they should have prepared for this tight schedule in this most critical time of the season. Instead, they taxed their pitchers for too long and now see what's happening in the bullpen.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 04:36:33 AM »
Good news is that (almost miraculously) all of Yankees, Angels and Tigers lost today. So, Mariners still remain 2 games behind NY, 2 games ahead of Tigers in the Wild Card. If only they can beat Yankees 3 straight times starting tomorrow... :-\

Let's get back to GM!

Ivor

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 06:52:53 PM »
  Sorry, who's that Gustav something you mentioned?

Ivor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk