Author Topic: looks like new Haitink/RCOA M4 may be a winner.  (Read 6090 times)

Offline barry guerrero

looks like new Haitink/RCOA M4 may be a winner.
« on: September 03, 2007, 06:41:12 AM »
Here are some comments I found on the new Haitink/Concertgebouw M4 with Christine Schaefer. I may finally have something from Haitink to cheer about:

"I've just received this and played it once. I thought his Berlin Philharmonic version from 1992 was underrated. For comparison, here are the timings of this Berlin Phil performance : 17'30, 9'17, 21'54, and 9'35. Haitink's new SACD has timings of 16'38, 8'57, 20'01 and 9'37".

"He really seems to have rethought his interpretations, in the manner of his acclaimed LSO LIve Beethoven symphonies. The opening movement is crisp. In my experience, only Boulez in his Cleveland SACD plays the opening movement more quickly. It also suits his rejuvenated manner to have Cristine Schäfer as his soloist, presenting a 'younger', fresher finale in comparison to the creamier sounds of Sylvia McNair. I'll have to listen to the slow movement a few more times. It certainly doesn't meander and dawdle like Thomas's SFSO slow movement".

Offline akiralx

Re: looks like new Haitink/RCOA M4 may be a winner.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 08:38:41 AM »

Yep I've ordered this, I am attracted by the fast tempi - I like Boulez's version but his is wrecked for me by Banse in the finale.

Apparently the recording is very good, looking forward to hearing the stereo SACD layer via my Stax earspeaker system...

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:24:47 AM »
Here are some comments I found on the new Haitink/Concertgebouw M4 with Christine Schaefer. I may finally have something from Haitink to cheer about:

Didn't I send you a copy of the DVD video performance of this a while back?  Someone posted the TV broadcast of this concert (opened with a DLvdE w/ Anna Larsson) on Usenet.  It is really a good performance, although I generally have liked Haitink in this symphony in the past.  Schafer has a great voice, although it is far from my favorite type of voice for this symphony.  I really like Haitink's fairly brisk tempos throughout and the RCOA is exceptional (with only a few minor live performance boo-boos). 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 06:36:50 AM »
Guilty as charged!!!  I'll watch it soon. Thanks.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »
Sorry for my spoiling, but why does the world need another M4th from Haitink? He has already recorded the work 4 times (3 with RCO, 1 with BPO) and we all know that his reading of the piece hasn't changed all that much. What we need from him instead is a M9th or a M8th.

Mr. Haitink, please give us new M9th and M8th!

John,

Offline akiralx

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
Sorry for my spoiling, but why does the world need another M4th from Haitink? He has already recorded the work 4 times (3 with RCO, 1 with BPO) and we all know that his reading of the piece hasn't changed all that much.

The timings above would suggest his view has changed quite a bit.

I believe he has said he will never conduct M8 again, but I agree another M9 would be good (though do we need another from anyone though...)

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 02:58:02 PM »
What we need from Haitink is a retirement party. It's time for him to stop being a player, and become a coach. Maazel conducts as though he retired a decade ago.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »
...why does the world need another M4th from Haitink? John,

Well, in this case it is an M4 in multi-channel SACD.  There are very few that are readily available (MTT, Boulez).  I would choose this Haitink one over those two (based on the video).  I love the M4 from Macal/Czech PO, but it is an expensive Japanese import. 
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 04:35:06 AM »
The Macal M4 is absolutely stunning in sound and performance...worth every penny (and all the peanut and butter sandwiches and water  :))

Offline akiralx

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 11:36:50 AM »

The new live Haitink M4 is very good, just listened in stereo SACD.  He chooses some rather flowing tempi, which are refreshing, and the playing is great, especially the wind and brass which are nicely balanced with lots of prominence. 

I'm not sure Christine Schafer would be my top choice for the finale (I prefer Battle and Bonney for Maazel and Chailly respectively) but she is better than Banse for Boulez.  Definitely a keeper, and plenty different from my other M4s.

Offline Damfino

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 03:42:58 AM »
I'm not sure Christine Schafer would be my top choice for the finale (I prefer Battle and Bonney for Maazel and Chailly respectively) but she is better than Banse for Boulez.  Definitely a keeper, and plenty different from my other M4s.

I am not real psyched about a new Haitink M 4.  I have championed Haitink's Mahler on this board.  I have 3 of Haitink's previous versions (don't have the Roberta Alexander one, though I'd like to hear it).  I really like two of  the ones I have (Ameling/RCO and McNair/BPO) and have not cared for one (Ewing/RCO).  This is my own personal preference, but I feel the M 4 works best with a light and bright soprano like Kathleen Battle, Sylvia McNair or Dawn Upshaw.  I disliked the Maria Ewing version from Haitink's Christmas Matinee series because Ewing's voice (IMHO) was too heavy. I feel that the lighter soprano better captures the child-like qualities of the lyrics and music better.  This is not to say that I have not heard some good versions that were done differently, but I cannot see buying another M 4 that does not have the type of soprano I like.

I heard Christine Schafer sing Mozart's Exultate, Jubilate last week on XM.  It was well done, but i could tell from that recording that she would not be at the top of my list for M 4.  I have to agree with Barry and John Kim that I have heard enough of what Haitink has to say about the M 4.  If I lived in Chicago, I might attend the concert, but I really do not need a new recording by Haitink of this work.  I'd probably prefer to hear some acclaimed recordings I do not have with some sopranos I find more appropriate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk