Author Topic: Barenboim/Mahler7  (Read 5976 times)

Wunderhorn

Barenboim/Mahler7
« on: January 14, 2007, 07:25:40 AM »
I've always been in love with the fifth, but the more I realized that the most 'absolute' Mahler was in the 7th, I had to get an updated recording of this work. I only have an 'executive stereo' (mini-stereo), it is Onkyo at least. This Barenboim/BSK of the 7th has the greatest sound I've ever experienced on my player. The opening bass of the first movement resonates very well. The third movement captures the sensual bliss of the movement almost too well. The drums in the finally are vibrant. I would hope Barenboim continues his Mahler with this orchestra. His version of the 9th should be out this month. I'm might need to get Barenboim's Mahler5 as well would this be a good alternative 5th?

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Barenboim/Mahler7
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 03:57:57 PM »
I really love the Barenboim/BSK M7...I agree regarding the sound, and the performance is great too. 

I too have yet to hear Barenboim's M5. 

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 04:24:42 PM »
The Barenboim M7th is also my best overall favorite, next to Kobayashi/CPO/Canyon, and a live one with Jansons/RCO. Barenboim's Chicago recording of M5th is also pretty good, although some critics cannot seem to live with it. The sound is a bit harsh compared to the M7th, but Barenboim captures the details and spirits of this symphony exceptionally well.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »
I must tell you Barenboim/CSO/Erato DLVDE is equally excellent. Jerusalem and Meier's singing is wonderful but it is Barenboim who keeps the music in a great shape without emphasizing overly emotional elements. I for one don't appreciate interpretations that fuss with the meaning of the lyrics too much - the music is already very difficult to listen through - and hence prefer more straightforward and well streamlined reading such as this one and Ormandy.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 07:09:06 PM »
Barenboim M7:  I still prefer that the first movement be done a bit slower, ala Boulez (23 minutes). But Barenboim does the slow, centrally placed "moonlit" episode really well. He also makes a real strong contrast between the two Nachtmusik movements:  the first one being slow, dark, and mysterious; the second one faster, more serenade-like (with plenty of mandolin and guitar). Given how good the sound is, and the enthusiasm of the players from one of Berlin's "other" orchestras, I feel that it's currently the strongest overall recommendation.

Barry

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 01:49:04 AM »
I need to revisit this one - I recall being a bit underwhelmed the last time I heard it. I do LOVE Barenboim's M5 though!

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 01:37:28 AM »
OK - I cranked this sucker on my B&W's today. Yowsa!  :o

It's been a long time since I heard it, and in all honesty I have no idea what I was thinking the last time I played this (possibly tired, cranky, who knows?).....

Anyway, this is one hell of an M7. The tempi seem to be just about spot on (for the most part), which is one reason this works so well. Another reason for me is that he makes sense of every musical idea GM unleashes upon the listener, and it seems effortless (which is not always the case with M7).  It's technical, but not mere technique if you will. There is a boatload of emotion on this recording as well, and the combination of a technically accurate and highly emotional M7 makes this a big time winner. The playing is also pretty kick-ass all around: great intonation, phrasing, dynamics, balance of strings/winds/brass/perc.

The recording itself is good, maybe even quite good, but it's a thick recording and gets a bit murky at times for my taste (nowhere as near as bad as the recent Abbado BP recordings - yuck). I cannot imagine what this disc would sound like if it had the DG Boulez engineering for example, but it doesn't. And as good as this one is, the playing is one notch below what Boulez commands in his M7 recording in terms of accuracy to my ears. Still, plenty of bass makes it sound powerful, but it is burnished tone all around. The moonlight episode is very good, but Boulez still plays that section to perfection.

Anyway, I still love a bunch of my M7's (the Chailly is not one of them), and this recording seems to have knocked Gielen down a notch - that is how highly I now regard this disc.

This is a winner folks! GET IT.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 05:42:10 AM »
Told you! I couldn't have put it better myself.  ;D

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 01:28:31 PM »
>Told you! I couldn't have put it better myself.  Grin

Dude - it's killer.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk