Author Topic: Karel Ancerl M9?  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Karafan

Karel Ancerl M9?
« on: May 21, 2007, 01:09:14 PM »
I was intrigued to hear reference made to Ancerl's Czech PO M9 on a recent BBC Building a Library programme on the symphony.

What are board members' views of this recording please, as I must admit, I didn't even know of it - and this from a collector with about 15 M9s on the shelf!

Thanks

Ricky

Offline John Kim

Re: Karel Ancerl M9?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:09:34 PM »
It is an excellent M9th, only marred by the old stereo recording quality. The two central movts. are as perfect as I can recall, with lots of rustic feeling, impulsive and wild wherever necessary. In my book, they are the best II & III movements. I also like the first movt. where Ancerl takes a great care to delineate all the important lines during the major climaxes and yet keep the structural integrity intact. The finale is not as emotional as Lenny and it clock's just over 23 min. but everything sounds so natural and appropriate without an ounce of fat. Just solid music making.

Don't be put off my statement about the sound quality. It still sounds pretty good, just a notch or two below today's sonic standards.

John,

Offline Karafan

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:01:09 PM »
Thanks John - much obliged.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 04:25:36 PM »
Don't be put off my statement about the sound quality.
John,

They may have remastered this one a couple of years ago in a "Gold" edition (IIRC).  My copy is an older mastering, though, purchased cheaply from Berkshire Record Outlet. 
Scott

Vatz Relham

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 06:00:10 PM »
Don't be put off my statement about the sound quality.
John,

They may have remastered this one a couple of years ago in a "Gold" edition (IIRC).  My copy is an older mastering, though, purchased cheaply from Berkshire Record Outlet. 

It was remastered in a "Gold" edtion from Supraphon, the sound is really quite good for a mid 60's recording.
The performance is no picnic, comes accross as dark and bleak, and that maybe how it should be.
Or as Derycke Cooke called M9 "Mahler's dark night of the soul"

Vatz

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 07:40:33 PM »

[/quote]

I'd say the improvement in the sound isn't all that much, so it you have the old release you'd better stick with it.

John,

Offline Psanquin

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 08:23:32 PM »
I rate the Ancerl Ninth (Supraphon Gold Edition) 8/8. The highpoint is the extremely aggressive Rondo Burleske. The Andante comodo is not exactly comfortable. It brings to mind that Ancerl was an Auschwitz survivor. The orchestra is far from perfection but that is a minor issue.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 11:12:08 PM »
I rate the Ancerl Ninth (Supraphon Gold Edition) 8/8. The highpoint is the extremely aggressive Rondo Burleske. The Andante comodo is not exactly comfortable. It brings to mind that Ancerl was an Auschwitz survivor. The orchestra is far from perfection but that is a minor issue.

I did not know Ancerl was an Auschwitz survivor...thanks for the information.  The Ancerl M9 recording makes a definite impression after the first hearing, a strong impression and the quality of the performance is easily remembered in my mind's ear.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk