Author Topic: Sinopoli/PO/DG Mahler cycle available as a budget set  (Read 11686 times)

Offline John Kim

Sinopoli/PO/DG Mahler cycle available as a budget set
« on: June 04, 2010, 05:09:50 AM »
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Gustav-Mahler-Symphonien-Nr-1-10/hnum/8178248

Unfortunately, I already have 2,3,5,6,7,9,10 Adagio  :-\ :'(.

John,

Offline Freddy van Maurik

Re: Sinopoli/PO/DG Mahler cycle available as a budget set
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
John,

You can get it even cheaper: see this http://gustavmahlerboard.com/forum/index.php?topic=1339.0

Freddy

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:32:20 PM »
Yes, but is this really worth paying for the missing M1st, M4th and M8th?

I find Sinopoli's Mahler fascinating and thrilling occasionally but in no way they are as consistent as Lenny or Tennstedt.

It's a cycle that you might want to pull out and listen from time to time for a change, but ...

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 03:35:09 PM »
Having said that, I still like his M3rd, M5th, and M9th for what's worth.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »
I like his M6, but I haven't heard any of the others.

--Todd

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »
Yes, but is this really worth paying for the missing M1st, M4th and M8th?

I find Sinopoli's Mahler fascinating and thrilling occasionally but in no way they are as consistent as Lenny or Tennstedt.

It's a cycle that you might want to pull out and listen from time to time for a change, but ...

John,

You're actually missing the two best ones IMHO -- M8 and M4.  If his DLvdE is part of the set, add that one as well.  
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:05:48 AM »
Regarding Sinopoli's DLVDE I have precisely TWO reservations and they are the ONLY quirks I take issue with. Everything else is down right great - conducting, playing, and the sound.

1) the soloists, however lyrical a singing they provide, they are wanting power. The 1st movt. is a good example. I normally expect the tenor rise above the orchestra in the climactic passage that leads to the recapitulation, but here he is simply underpowered.

2) the final Ewig, Ewig in VI. is way too fast. WHY??? It's such a pity because everything right up to that point is so great including the conducting and the prominent mandolin. I could cry :-[ :'(.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 04:17:57 AM »
It's not just the speed that's in trouble here in the final pages. Sinopoli and the alto somehow seem to think that this final passage must be interpreted as 'anti-emotional' as possible and hence zip through it in a rather indifferent manner. Thus, it sounds not only fast but also too loud. Maazel's BRSO version had a similar problem. It's like getting 100% on mid term but flunk on the final exam :-\

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 04:40:46 AM »
I saw a used Giulini/BPO/DG DLVDE at a local CD store. It was priced like $8.99.

Does anyone one want it? I can pick it up this Thursday, provided it will be still be there (it has been been available for the past three weeks).

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 05:04:38 AM »
It's not just the speed that's in trouble here in the final pages. Sinopoli and the alto somehow seem to think that this final passage must be interpreted as 'anti-emotional' as possible and hence zip through it in a rather indifferent manner. Thus, it sounds not only fast but also too loud. Maazel's BRSO version had a similar problem. It's like getting 100% on mid term but flunk on the final exam :-\

John,

And speaking of the 1st movt. climax, is there more drunken, crazier singing/orchestral accompaniment out there???

For me, this is one of the highlights of DLVDE  and I cannot tolerate any recording that's underpowered at this spot. It really has to 'BURST' out, all the way.

Drunken, crazy, out of wit and out of control just like you're in a state of opium. I mean, toxic! :o ::).

John,
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:18:55 AM by John Kim »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 05:24:05 AM »
Speaking of the state of opium, I think Beethoven's Ninth's first movt. could be as toxic as any Mahler symphony. It can be regarded the first truly modern composition in the history of music; many passages in this movt, are reminiscent of the upcoming Wagner, Mahler, and Strauss.

A great symphonic motv. indeed. But then the rest of the symphony is equally great!!

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »

2) the final Ewig, Ewig in VI. is way too fast. WHY???... I could cry :-[ :'(.

John,

Yes, I've written this same thing before.  It is a truly stupid decision on Sinopoli's part. I love the rest of the performance though.  
Scott

Offline Dyolf

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:00:12 PM »
Hi
Bought this cycle from Amazon.de for an insanely low price. Have never heard any mahler by Sinopoli, so it was actually going to be a win/win in any case.
Firstly, I know its a minor issue, but the guy who has cut and pasted the movements on to the different CD's, should be executed at dawn. Period.
So far I have only heard my two favorites , M2 and M8, but if the rest turn out to be remotely as good as those two, I'm in for a treat.
What a delight to have a Klemperer "version" of Mahlers Resurrection, in absolutely sonic perfection. And cudos to Sinopoli for taking the "correct" tempo in the last movement "march of the dead".

The second part of M8, is maybe the best I have ever heard, and again the sound recording puts everyone where they should be. The depth of the stage is awesome. Sinopoli opts for a very slow finale, but the chorus and the soloists are up to the task, and I was totally out of breath when tha last note ebbed out.

Looking forward to the rest.
Steen

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 09:53:12 PM »
Firstly, I know its a minor issue, but the guy who has cut and pasted the movements on to the different CD's, should be executed at dawn. Period.

...The second part of M8, is maybe the best I have ever heard, and again the sound recording puts everyone where they should be. The depth of the stage is awesome. Sinopoli opts for a very slow finale, but the chorus and the soloists are up to the task, and I was totally out of breath when that last note ebbed out.

Looking forward to the rest.
Steen

They definitely organized the music to minimize the number of CD's for the production process, as they have laid out the discs as syms 1/2.1, 2.2-2.5, 3.1-3.5, 3.6/7.1-7.3, 7.4-7.5/8.1, 8.2/LefG, DLvdE/4.1, 4.2-4.4/KtL, 5, DKW/6-1-6.3, 6.4/9.1-9.2, 9.3-9.4/10.1.  

At least they included the DLvdE, which makes this a fairly complete set (AFAIK - the complete commercial recordings of Sinopoli's Mahler for DG).  So while I'm not thrilled with the layout, I cannot complain for the $23USD paid to JPC.  

I'll also mention that I have always been a big fan of Sinopoli's M8 -- well at least the second part which is a good as it gets IMO.  It features a top notch cast of singers (I especially love the Gretchen soprano), lots of details, has a nice flow, and a very big ending.  Unfortunately, the first part is rather dreary, with some real droopy tempos.  

Scott

Offline brunumb

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 01:58:57 AM »
Any unnecessary splitting of a work is an affront to the music.

Let's face it, the cost of the discs themselves in negligible.  They give them away with newspapers and magazines for heaven sake.
I would much rather have an extra one or two discs than have to change them to hear a complete work with interruptions.
We seem to be getting echoes of the days of 78s and LPs.
Totally unnecessary, and the perpetrators should be locked in a soundproof room and forced to listen endlessly to an old 78 with the needle stuck in the groove.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk