Author Topic: B.G. listens to Schwarz M7 (Artek) & Sinopoli/Dresden M4 (Profil)  (Read 9673 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: B.G. listens to Schwarz M7 (Artek) & Sinopoli/Dresden M4 (Profil)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 04:53:58 PM »
I listened to this once so far...a very powerful rendering of the M7...definitely in my top tier at this point.  Yes, sometimes the trumpet is low in the mix, but not always, and not enough to hinder my enjoyment and attention to this well played M7. 

As John attests, the recording sports a warm hue, clear and full of marvelous detail that only serves to make the performance exciting and electrifying...what happened to Schwarz's M9?  The recording of his M9 is more distant sounding, and not as clear as his M7...I still like his M9 performance, but it's too bad the recording itself is sorely lacking.

I'm a happy camper over this M7 though!

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 05:01:44 PM »
While I wouldn't declare the Schwarz M7 to be my favorite - probably not even in my top 3 - it certainly has its strengths, not least of which is just the flow of the performance. Starting from Nachtmusik I, it has the feel of just getting gradually faster to the end of the symphony (with the scherzo perhaps being just a tad too fast in between). I like the really forward sounding harp during the first movement's central "moonlit" (slow) episode. I also like how Schwarz really dances up the tango passage towards the end of Nachtmusik I. Nice touches.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 08:48:11 PM »
Yes Barry...I agree with your thoughts there, except I think this makes it into my top 3 at least...

I really REALLY love how the bass drum "jumps" out from the recording, that detail alone makes this high on my list.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 03:20:31 AM »
Good point, because there are some spots in the first movement, where a bass drum roll will just suddenly pop up out of nowhere. It's nice to have your attention drawn to those entrances.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 09:10:21 AM »
Relistening to this at work tonight...still sounds like a great M7.  I like it as much as the Barenboim, Macal and Kobayashi.     ;D

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk