Author Topic: Nott/Bamberg Symphony Orch. Mahler Ninth SACD (new release)  (Read 4882 times)

Offline John Kim

Nott/Bamberg Symphony Orch. Mahler Ninth SACD (new release)
« on: August 01, 2009, 05:38:42 PM »
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3639639

The timings look promissing:

Mahler: Symphonie No. 9: I. Andante comodo [29:46]

II. Im Tempo eines gemachlichen Landlers [15:38]

Disc   2

III. Rondo-Burleske [12:47]

IV. Adagio [25:18]

What are your opinions on Nott's Mahler. He has recorded so far M1, M4, M5 and this one.

I also heard that Alan Gilbert recorded M9th and it too will be released on SACDs soon.

John,

Offline mahlerei

Re: Nott/Bamberg Symphony Orch. Mahler Ninth SACD (new release)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 05:52:08 PM »
John

I've only heard Nott's M1 and have to say I can't understand why this conductor gets rave reviews. To my ears Nott really doesn't have the Mahler idiom or a natural feeling for those long spans. That could change, of course, but right now his Mahler strikes me as unremarkable, especially when there are so many fine interepreters about.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:48:33 PM »
My impression from reviews, and from what little I have heard, is that the Nott recordings are a bit overrated in general. Then again, maybe this will be a great 9th. You never know.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:22:35 AM »

I like the Nott M1 - better than Zinman's I think.  Fairly orthodox but with lots of imaginative and idiomatic touches.

He favours a rather lean and clear sound so if you like rich Mahler you may not respond so well.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 05:13:43 PM »
Thanks.

If anyone who has Nott's M1, M4 or M5 wants to trade with me (I don't mean your original copies ;), PL contact me in private.

Best,

John,

Offline alpsman

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 06:03:09 PM »
I have just listened very carefully the new M9 under Nott and Bambergers.
The symphony is in 2 sacd and I am in the strange situation to report two diferent opinions. Let me explain:
I begun listen the symphony and after a few minutes I realise that the interpretation of Nott lacks all the mood and atmosphere of Vienna decadance and the morbid situation of Mahler himself that that time. But also I noticed that the recording is very close, claustophobic and the instruments-woodwinds especially-very un-natural in perspective.The solo violin has dinosayrian size etc. So the first two movements are very disapointing for me.
Puting the second cd on, I heard a totally different sound image, more open, more natural and also the involvement of Nott and musicians is more ...ee Mahlerian-but nothing special or outstanding. The last movement fares better but overall this is  a maojor dissapointing issue. This is Mahler without the nevrosis and hysteria of Bernstein, without the virtuosity and brilliance of Karajan, without the analytical way of Abbado, without the musical approace of Haitink and Chaiily.....In the end without  personality,vitallity, discovery or  something....
For the record I listened the cds in 2ch. sacd mode and cd only mode.
I have also the Bruckner 3 with Nott and i don't think well also. Maybe Nott is not a maestro for me.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »
alpsman,

Thanks for your report.

I thought this will be released on 8/31?? ???

Where could you get it so early??

I am puzzled that the 3-4 movts have very different sound quality than the 1-2 movts. That really sounds odd...can you make sure this impression is indeed correct?

I am looking for a M9th with drastic views and new stuff, so Nott might turn out to be the cup of tea for me ;D.

John,

Offline alpsman

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 07:11:40 PM »
John

it is available for a month now in jpc for 16euros.
As for the two different sound images I checked it again in another cd player. The same conclusion, maybe some product error in this first brance?
I heartily wish to find it more interesting thay I found it. But just now I listened the first two movements by Philadelphia/Eschenbach in a burn copy from a site-it's not pirate it is a live from Carnegie in 2005. Guess what, great playing, really interesting interpretation( I like Eschenbach) and better sound( in mp3!) than the sacd Nott.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »
I sampled audio clips at jpc website and they sounded just fine to my ears. I couldn't pick the difference between I-II and III-IV though because they had only the first two movts. in the files.

Wait for my verdict - I am the King of Mahler Ninth! ;D ;).

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk