Author Topic: M9 Concertus Interruptus  (Read 14413 times)

Offline Toblacher

M9 Concertus Interruptus
« on: January 12, 2012, 01:52:16 AM »

Offline barry guerrero

Re: M9 Concertus Interruptus
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:20:37 AM »
.   .   .  which is why I have retired the 9th in terms of live performances.

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:20:56 AM »
Something like this was bound to happen sooner or later.  Too bad it happened to be during Mahler's Ninth.  If this had been in Europe or Britain, the guy would have been dragged out by the collar.

Wade

Offline Roffe

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 06:38:48 AM »
This was totally outrageous. Didn't the guy think? Or was he just an idiot?

I dont't attend concerts when I have a cold risking to disturb others by my coughing and I always leave my cell phone at home when going to a concert.

Roffe

Offline stillivor

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »
Yes I'm puzzled that there wasn't an Avery Fifher Hall official to find and remove the culprit at New Yorker speed.

Ivor

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 05:51:37 PM »
.   .    .   New York has gone soft. It's just not the same place.   :-[
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:52:29 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Constantin

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:30:05 PM »
I suppose we Mahlerians cannot expect standard concertgoers to appreciate this, but for me such an interruption is an egregious offense againt the music, the musicians, the conductor, the composer, and those who attended with the expectation of a sublime experience. 

Like Roffe, I do not attend concerts if I have a cold--it would be such a disrespect to all involved to begin coughing.  According to the reports, this cellphone continued ringing for several minutes.

Why were ushers not present to immediately eject the premeditatively rude offending person in the audience?  (He intentionally brought the cellphone and did not turn it off.)

It is so sad that, for many of us who so revere Mahler's music, we should have to relegate it to listening at home, out of fear that public performances might be disrupted.

The blame lies in the hands of the NY Philharmonic administrators who did not have in place procedures to immediately eject offensive ticket-buyers (I refuse to call such people music-lovers).   Shame on adjacent audience members too, who did not identify and request the removal of one who premeditatively stole a moving experience from so many!

If inaction or "a deaf ear is turned to" such disturbances, how can serious music lovers continue to feel welcome at live performances? 
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 07:46:26 PM »
Reading the associated articles, it looks like the man had actually silenced his iPhone (there is a button to switch the ringer on/off -- for those that do not know), but he had an alarm event set on it that made noise nonetheless.  I just tested/duplicated this on my iPhone, which scares me because I always take that same action to "silence" my iPhone at a concert.   

On a side note, I sat next to the wife of pianist Kirill Gerstein at last Sunday's HSO performance of Rach 3.  Every time someone around us coughed or made any sort of loud noise, she turned to stare at them (which is something I'd like to do -- I just don't have the guts).  There were one or two phones that went off during the performance too.  At the end of his performance, I made a comment in jest about the crowd being good despite the mid-performance phone ringing.  She didn't laugh. 
Scott

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 10:28:11 PM »
Reading the associated articles, it looks like the man had actually silenced his iPhone (there is a button to switch the ringer on/off -- for those that do not know), but he had an alarm event set on it that made noise nonetheless.

Here's the complete article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/13/nyregion/ringing-finally-stopped-but-concertgoers-alarm-persists.html?_r=1

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline stillivor

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 11:20:48 PM »
Here's one person's suggestion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKrJL87XGQs&feature=related

Ivor

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
After reading the New York Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/13/nyregion/ringing-finally-stopped-but-concertgoers-alarm-persists.html?_r=1) I can only conclude that this was an unfortunate case of "When bad things happen to good people...":
"Actually, Patron X said he had no idea he was the culprit. He said his company replaced his BlackBerry with an iPhone the day before the concert. He said he made sure to turn it off before the concert, not realizing that the alarm clock had accidentally been set and would sound even if the phone was in silent mode."

It's hard for me to find fault with Patron X after reading that.  I really don't know what else to say.  This doesn't look like a premeditated act, and...to be completely honest...some of the comments I've read on the internet about this really bother me.  Yes, cell phones should be muted during concerts.  Yes, it's the considerate thing to do.  But, as so oftenly happens, people rushed to conclusions.  Many bloggers and the like assumed that Patron X knowingly left his phone on audible ring.  They assumed that Patron X knew his phone was the one ringing and deliberately ignored it.  And some even went so far as to refer to this insident as "premeditated."

I am a huge fan of classical music and Mahler's Ninth in particular.  I believe in the preservation of live performance and am all for keeping concert-hall distractions down to a minimum.  But life happens.  There's not much more I can say.
Michael

Offline Constantin

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
"Premeditated" was not as accurate as perhaps would be "callous and egregious negligence."
For those of us who feel Mahler's music as an almost spiritual experience, to have the live performance disrupted by something which could and should have been obviated, is an intolerable deprivation to those who bought their tickets with an expectation of an uninterrupted experience.
If you can't drive a car responsibly, don't drive.  If you can't control your cellphone, don't bring it.
With both, please don't harm others.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 03:49:39 PM »
After reading the New York Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/13/nyregion/ringing-finally-stopped-but-concertgoers-alarm-persists.html?_r=1) I can only conclude that this was an unfortunate case of "When bad things happen to good people...":
"Actually, Patron X said he had no idea he was the culprit. He said his company replaced his BlackBerry with an iPhone the day before the concert. He said he made sure to turn it off before the concert, not realizing that the alarm clock had accidentally been set and would sound even if the phone was in silent mode."

It's hard for me to find fault with Patron X after reading that.  I really don't know what else to say.  This doesn't look like a premeditated act, and...to be completely honest...some of the comments I've read on the internet about this really bother me.  Yes, cell phones should be muted during concerts.  Yes, it's the considerate thing to do.  But, as so oftenly happens, people rushed to conclusions.  Many bloggers and the like assumed that Patron X knowingly left his phone on audible ring.  They assumed that Patron X knew his phone was the one ringing and deliberately ignored it.  And some even went so far as to refer to this insident as "premeditated."

I am a huge fan of classical music and Mahler's Ninth in particular.  I believe in the preservation of live performance and am all for keeping concert-hall distractions down to a minimum.  But life happens.  There's not much more I can say.

I agree Michael. Life happens and we have no control when it comes down to it.

--Todd

Offline yiwufan

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 04:03:15 PM »
"Premeditated" was not as accurate as perhaps would be "callous and egregious negligence."
For those of us who feel Mahler's music as an almost spiritual experience, to have the live performance disrupted by something which could and should have been obviated, is an intolerable deprivation to those who bought their tickets with an expectation of an uninterrupted experience.
If you can't drive a car responsibly, don't drive.  If you can't control your cellphone, don't bring it.
With both, please don't harm others.

I agree with what you say.  We should all be held responsible for our actions, even if they are not intentional.  I'm sure the guy felt horrible, but still, it's inexcusable.

Offline Constantin

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
I agree with what you say.  We should all be held responsible for our actions, even if they are not intentional.  I'm sure the guy felt horrible, but still, it's inexcusable.

I can see that some feel it is harsh to condemn this individual for what happened, but I am very stubborn about chastising him for his irresponsibility and his negligence.  I am stubborn about this because I understand how cheated many would feel, to have a moving experience of M9 so dreadfully interrupted because of carelessness, irresponsibility, or negligence.  I hope for me that Mahler never becomes "elevator music," where I would easily tolerate missing several minutes or even seconds of a performance.

If we are to be forced to accept such interruptions as normal and acceptable, then some of us will join Barry in his response:

.   .   .  which is why I have retired the 9th in terms of live performances.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk