Author Topic: Carnegie Hall's Bernstein Mahler vs Sony's Bernstein Mahler  (Read 14745 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Carnegie Hall's Bernstein Mahler vs Sony's Bernstein Mahler
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 07:50:38 PM »
I finally got to listen to the M9th from the Carnegie Hall set.

I think this recording is indeed originated from the DSD mastering that was used for the Japanese release. Doing A/B comparison with the Japanese SACD (I heard only the regular CD layer), however, revealed that there is some difference in the sound quality. Although the basic sonic spectrum sounds the same it was the Japanese pressing that sounded superior, juicier and sweeter with slightly better dynamic range and clarity. This could be due to the superior pressing technique that the Japanese had used. I am sure the SACD layer will sound even more impressive. The Carnegie Hall version, on the other hand, is rather restricted and less clear in details, especially in the high end.

So, of the two versions, although they both seem to have originated from the same source, I would still go for the SACD one.

Here is om overall ranking of all the different versions of Lenny's first Mahler cycle:

Japanese SACD > Carnegie Hall > CBS> Sony Century > Sony Royal Ed.

But this judgement is only based on the M9th.

John,
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:14:11 PM by John Kim »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »
John,

I do think that these DSD remasterings do generally sound better. But I also have no problem believing that the Japanese versions sound even better. I think that there's still room for improvement. It also really bugs me that M8 doesn't have any extra tracks, and that there's still no "DKW" either. A far from perfect effort.

Barry

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 05:31:40 AM »
Not because I doubt John's perceptions (I don't), but because they are at odds with some of the apriori reasoning earlier in this thread, I contacted Andreas K. Meyer directly through his Website to see what light he might be able to shed on the issue. Here's his response:

Greetings Mr. Meckley,

The CD release for the "Carnegie Hall" box set is the same audio as the Red Book CD Layer of the Japanese-only-release SACD Hybrids. As stated in the Japanese release, I worked in DSD format and then it was dithered down using Sony's Super Bit Mapping technology to retain as much audiophile quality as possible for the CD layer. Thank you for your interest in the reissue package.

Enjoy,
Andreas

So the two CD layers were intended/expected to sound the same but they don't. Certainly stranger things have happened in the realm of audio production. Thanks to John for taking time to evaluate the two sets.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline John Kim

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 06:33:02 AM »
James,

Thanks for posting the important message from Mr. Andreas.

I didn't doubt that both versions originated from the same source and am glad that my conviction was confirmed.

The question of Japanese pressing vs. US pressing is rather subtle and the difference could be, depending on who is listening, very small.

But my ears are so picky (especially when it comes to Mahler Ninth :() that even the slightest improvement is a big one for me. It is then in this sense that I prefer the Japanese SACD. The same is true of  Japanese pressings I heard on DG label, e.g., Lenny/NYPO M2, Lenny/RCO M9, Sinopoli/PO M2 and M3, Karajan/BPO M9 (analogue), all of which showed the superiority of Japanese pressings in every aspect - dynamic range, clarity, bass.

Best,

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk