Author Topic: MTT/SFSO/SFSO M8th - my first impression  (Read 14507 times)

Offline James Meckley

Re: MTT/SFSO/SFSO M8th - my first impression
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2009, 08:32:15 PM »
Interesting analysis, Barry – much food for thought there.

Just for the record, I wasn't using Dover as a reference, but rather the Universal Edition score.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 05:13:01 PM »
Interesting thoughts Barry, and I agree that it is a de facto key change to A flat major at RN 213 (though, what happens next is beyond my grasp of amateur knowledge of harmony). Mahler even divides the choruses to make it chord with a nice full sound of it. And since the orchestra is silent at this crucial point, if not else, this alone should make it a priority for an audible organ, just as you said.

As for the terraced dynamics up to the end, that is indeed a very important aspect that gets easily overlooked (just when I think I get overwhelmed by the sheer joy of an Eb major with the Accende- and Veni-motifs it gets even louder!). I remember when I started looking at scores and reading more about how composers notate music, and how much work there is in thinking about and creating the music from the paper. Considering that it's easier to hear the highest and lowest pitched parts in the orchestra (and the piercing sound a trumpet has at ff), I do indeed wonder about the Mahler's "mehrfach besetzt" indication.

I'm not audio engineer, so could it be, that it's just impossible to contain such a wide dynamic Mahler's 8th requires?

P.S. The Dover score is a reprint of the 1976 Russian publication by 'Izdatel'stvo "Myzika"' (Moscow). Though I wonder on which edition they based their print, considering that there hasn't been any "critical edition" of the 8th yet, it should be Universal Edition.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 12:00:45 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts as well, Zoltan. I'll chat more when I have a bit more time. This week is pretty hectic.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2010, 02:58:28 PM »
I've been comparing the MTT M8 with the new Zinman and find I love both equally...with the MTT sounding better sonically.  

I have to say this MTT M8 sounds really impressive after each hearing.  What impresses me most is the playing of the SFSO and the sonics.  The playing sounds so esquisite and the sonics beautifully capture the acoustics of the hall.  

The climaxs in both MTT and Zinman have a power rarely heard in M8 recordings...on second thought I'd have to include the Witt and Gergiev.

The recordings above have all made me love the M8 for the first time.  I finally understand why so many love this work.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 03:00:44 PM by Leo K »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk