Author Topic: Macal/CPO/Exton M7th hybrid SACD  (Read 6874 times)

Offline John Kim

Macal/CPO/Exton M7th hybrid SACD
« on: October 15, 2007, 04:14:26 AM »
http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2633678

Barry will probably like this...as it received 85/100 from the Japanese classical music fans.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Macal/CPO/Exton M7th hybrid SACD
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 05:37:58 AM »
I have the Ashkenazy with the Czech Phil., which I think is pretty darn good. Thanks for suggesting this though. I would want to know the timings first before doing anything, as I don't want any more fast first movements.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 02:59:26 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I'll be ordering this one and the Macal M5 from HMV.  I'll let you know what I think. 
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 04:01:34 PM »
I'll be getting this to!! Thanks for the heads up!

Offline MichaelO

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 01:37:55 PM »
I am interested too.  What is with these Japanese record labels.  Canyon is also coming out with a M7 with  the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Ken-Ichiro Kobayashi!  Are they trying to bankrupt us!

Michael

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 02:00:53 PM »
The Kobayashi one had already been out on Canyon Classics. It takes two discs. It has an excellent first movement that isn't rushed at all (hate that about MTT/SFSO, and even find "Lennie" a tad fast for my liking). However, the finale is also on the sluggish side, which it shouldn't be - rather like Chailly or Segerstam. But the first few movements are terrific.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »
Yes, some of the Kobayashi/Czech PO Mahler SACD's are re-releases of Canyon CD's from the last 10 (or so) years.  However, some (M2, M3) are new DSD recordings made by Exton.  I have a CD-R of the Canyon Kobayashi/CPO M1, which I absolutely love.  IIRC, there is also an Exton SACD release of M1 with Kobayashi/Japan PO which got a poor review from Hurwitz. 
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 09:19:54 PM »
I'd LOVE to hear the Kobayashi/CPO M7th in SACD format. This is my top choice for the Seventh Symphony. IMO, no other version captures the beauty, rapture, and subtle sense of inherent logics hidden in the music as well as this one. The sound and playing are drop dead gorgeous.

John,

Offline MichaelO

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 08:49:56 PM »
Hi:

Has any on heard Kobayashi's M5 ?  Was it previously released some years ago or is it a new recording?

Thank you.

Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 05:13:32 AM »
Hi:

Has any on heard Kobayashi's M5 ?  Was it previously released some years ago or is it a new recording?

Thank you.

Michael
I have this recording on Canyon label. I think the Exton SACD edition is based on the Canyon recording. It is an excellent M5th as the other installments in the series - M2,M3,M7 - are. Kobayashi treats the opening movt. with a flowing tempo at just under 12 min. but the playing of CPO shines through. I think all the 5 movements, albeit the fast tempo in I., are done extremely well, but I particularly like the ending of V where he slows down the speed just so that it can generate a feeling of grand finale. Most of conductors zip through the final pages, on the other hand. Great sonics too.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 05:29:50 AM »
Having said this much about the Kobayashi/CPO Mahler recordings on Canyon (or now Exton), I have not heard the M1st. But I am sure it's excellent too. I love to have the SACD version of the M7th; it is still my no. one favorite of the symphony. I wish Kobayashi recorded M9th with CPO, although the one he recorded with a Japanese orch. is also excellent.

To sum up, I think Kobayashi's recoridngs of M3rd and M7th with CPO belong to the top tiers but the others are not far behind.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk