Author Topic: B.G.'s four-star Amazon review of Zinman M4 (RCA)  (Read 4840 times)

Offline barry guerrero

B.G.'s four-star Amazon review of Zinman M4 (RCA)
« on: March 14, 2008, 08:23:08 AM »
Wow, what a gorgeous sounding recording! The unaffected naturalness of the old Abravanel recording is everywhere evident here; only this Zinman Mahler 4th has a far bigger dynamic range, and even more "air" around the instruments. Unfortunately, I'm dinging this down to four stars because of the less than comfortable sounding contribution from soprano Luna Orgonasova.

Certainly, Orgonasova doesn't come anywhere close to completely spoiling this, the way that Renee Fleming nearly did for Abbado's Berlin remake of Mahler 4 (go figure! - especially since she sounded so great in the Berg songs). But what's truly frustrating, is that Orgonasova sounds perfectly relaxed and sweet-toned during the soft singing that makes up the bulk of Mahler's final stanza. She executes that descending portamento on "Sanct Ursula dazu lacht" just beautifully, for example; but then, awkwardly ratchets the tension back up for "Cecilia mit ihren Verwandten sind treffliche Hoffmusikanten". What's also fortunate, though, is that she's not recorded real upfront. That helps!

I don't mean to dwell too much on this point; Orgonasova would do perfectly fine on one of the three soprano parts from Mahler's 8th symphony (and maybe she'll show up on Zinman's 8th). But for the 4th, a far less operatic sounding singer is required - someone who can come closer to a youngish boy, such as Camilla Tilling (Ben. Zander on Telarc) or Barbara Bonney (Chailly on Decca). But for the rest of the symphony, hardly a complaint should be mustered by anyone.

I would have preferred that the climax to the development passage of the first movement be more menacing sounding, as it is on Chailly's very fine recording of the 4th (it sounds more like the start of the 5th symphony!). But that incredible climax to the slow movement - the one that was used so effectively in the movie "El Norte" - may be the best that it's ever sounded on any recording, ever! - that's truly saying something. The scherzo possess the requisite tension and "air of menace" that should be there too. In total, for the first three movements, one could hardly do better. The orchestral accompaniment in the fourth movement is perfectly fine as well.

So,if you already own a Mahler 4th with a soprano that you really like, I don't see any need to add this one to your arsenal. But for anyone who wants to keep collecting the so-far/so-good Zinman cycle - perhaps the modern day equivalent of the old Kubelik cycle - there's no reason not to add this one along. I certainly have no regrets about picking it up: I love the sound and the orchestral execution, especially at the slow movement's climax.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: B.G.'s four-star Amazon review of Zinman M4 (RCA)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 10:53:53 PM »
This is sooooo tempting.... :D  Thanks for the review...if I see it at Border's I'll grab it.

--Todd

Offline sbugala

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 02:11:19 AM »
I bought mine today, and I'm enjoying it immensely.  I'm not a great judge of voices, so any flaws have to have some huge warts on them for me to notice. So Barry's caveats didn't register with me too badly.  Some orchestral parts I always look for are beautiful flutes in what I call the "Asian section" of the first movement, good trumpet playing in the motif that's later used in M5 Movement I, good fiddle playing in the second movement, an ethereal entry in the "heavenly waltz" portion of the second movement, and a euphonious but powerful climax to the slow movement.  Zinman's rendition passes on all of these for me.  I like a little more thunder from the timpani at the climax of the third movement, but overall, I think there's more clarity and beauty in this version at this point. The horns are freaking amazing as they belt out the motif from the first movement. The harp is exceptionally well caught here, too.  So, I suppose it's fair to say Zinman sees the big picture and recognizes it's not all about shocking the listener with the timpani.  To second Barry's assessment, it's one of the best at this point. 

In general, many people may give Michael Tilson Thomas' cycle more press or praise.  But for me, this cycle (except for his m2 which I have yet to acquire), is so enjoyable.  I really don't know why it doesn't get more notoriety. It's a good feeling to buy this and after a few listens wonder, "Wow! When is his Symphony No. 5 coming out?" 

Steve
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 04:38:31 AM by sbugala »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 04:07:30 AM »
I LOVE the lovely CD cover very much ;D

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 01:49:43 AM »
I picked this up today as well...more later.

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 02:17:09 AM »
I can't improve on Barry's review above...I agree this is a suburb M4 in every way.  The dynamic range is incredible, and the symphony sounds huge (yet the clarity is not lost).  The timpani in the slow movement is to die for.  The soprano here is fine and fits my taste, but believe it or not, my favorite soprano in this work is Renee Fleming in the Abbado/BPO on DG...I kid you not...

Like the other installments in Zinman's cycle, this recording is even better on return listens. 

This is a top tier M4 and I wouldn't want to be without it...the same goes for the rest of the Zinman cycle (I haven't yet heard his M1).

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk