Author Topic: OT: Savall Beethoven 3  (Read 3990 times)

Offline ChrisH

OT: Savall Beethoven 3
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:09:17 PM »
This weekend I happened to swing by my local used CD shop and found a stellar recording of Beethoven's third by Jordi Savall and the Les Concert des Nations.
I've quickly fallen in love with this spirited, punchy, and wonderfully played recording. I've been listening non-stop. This is, perhaps, the most exciting Beethoven I've heard yet. Just a joy on the speakers. Wondering if any on this board are familiar with this recording.

It's quite expensive on Amazon, but if anyone is interested in a rip please PM me.

Offline david johnson

Re: OT: Savall Beethoven 3
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:00:12 AM »
i am unfamiliar with the recording.

dj

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 03:32:11 PM »
It's a HIP performance, using 35 players. It's swift, filled with great textures and clarity. Savall usually conducts renaissance repertoire and baroque works. This Beethoven 3 is late as he seems to get in music. This man doesn't make a boring recording. We have swift tempos, and a very raunchy brass section. I think the size of the ensemble really gives the players a chance to speak to with each other. I'm not sure if I've ever heard a band play with such tight abandon. It's almost reckless; but they pull it off very well. This is much better than efforts by Norrington, Immerseel and Goodman. At least in my estimation.

Here's two samples.

Movement II. Marcia Funebre
http://www.box.net/shared/t2yf9tyzop

Movement IV. Finale
http://www.box.net/shared/4havau5flz

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 07:44:48 PM »
Another good, early-music influenced recording of the "Eroica" is the Anrew Manze/Helsingborg S.O. one on Harmonia Mundi. Timings are: 16:53; 16:11; 5:29; 11.48.

As you can see, those timings aren't especially fast, but it certainly doesn't sound slow or ponderous either. It's yet another good one. It also comes with some excerpts from Beethoven's "Creatures Of Prometheus" ballet.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 02:56:09 PM »
Another good, early-music influenced recording of the "Eroica" is the Anrew Manze/Helsingborg S.O. one on Harmonia Mundi. Timings are: 16:53; 16:11; 5:29; 11.48.

As you can see, those timings aren't especially fast, but it certainly doesn't sound slow or ponderous either. It's yet another good one. It also comes with some excerpts from Beethoven's "Creatures Of Prometheus" ballet.

I've not heard that disc. Sounds interesting though. Thanks for the heads-up, Barry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk