Author Topic: OT: Current state of orchestras  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Ben

OT: Current state of orchestras
« on: January 26, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »
Here's an article on recent comments Max Hole (head of Universal Music and the classical division) made about the state of orchestras.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/classical/news/exclusive-orchestras-must-ride-the-wave-of-change-or-die-8463792.html

I don't have much time to comment at the moment, I'll have to come back later, though some of his arguments toward classical music have been around for ages.  I do agree with some of what he's saying, and orchestras do need to figure out their business models to survive.  And soon.  Many are bankrupt, or recovering from bankruptcy, running at a huge deficit, musicians on lock-out or strike, etc.

I would be curious to get any comments from the forum.  The comments section at the article is also interesting.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: OT: Current state of orchestras
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:51:25 AM »
They've been sounding the death knell forever in England, yet they continue to have five full-time, professional orchestras in London, as well as tons of 'pick up' orchestras. That's not to mention all the various subsidized BBC orchestras out and about. Seems to me that they don't have it so bad at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk