Author Topic: this is getting there: ending of M3/6  (Read 3099 times)

Offline barry guerrero

this is getting there: ending of M3/6
« on: November 13, 2009, 10:05:32 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzqBTBXMgpE&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=EDBC645AE951C15E

Check this out. It's Mehta/BPO. Anyway,that's getting there. He's got the right idea with the tempo relationships. At the cymbal crash, the number of trombones should be increased from 4 to 6, unless you're the N.Y. Phil. (Ozawa's BSO trombones go nuts also).  The trombones are playing two part harmony there, so it's just two on a part (three on a part, if you increase the overall number to six). You want to increase the amplitude from the trombones, so that you don't have to drop down the the timpani and bass drum rolls nearly so much. Add 2 more trombones, and then have the timpani and bass drum do a crescendo leading up to EXACTLY 2:28 (watch the counter, and you'll see what I mean). Then they should immediately taper down again.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: this is getting there: ending of M3/6
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
I see what you mean here Barry, 6 trombones would'na knocked this outta the park even more...great as this performance sounds...man, gotta love those BPO strings.  Great stuff here.  Tempos sounds just right here.

Also, I wanna say again that Gilbert did a fantastic job with the M3 in Mew York...that M3 never lagged or lost my attention, as sadly the Macal M3 did recently on my first hearing of it.  Great as that one sounds there is other great M3's out there that are even more competitive, like the Zinman and my personal fave MTT (but this one not to everyone's taste of course).

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk