Author Topic: Beethoven (arr. Mahler) 9th Symphony with Kristjan Jarvi  (Read 5704 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Beethoven (arr. Mahler) 9th Symphony with Kristjan Jarvi
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:31:36 AM »
Both Gustav Mahler and today's original instrument practitioners recognized the same problem in big orchestra performances of Beethoven, but went about opposite directions for resolving that problem. I'll explain: as concert halls and orchestras continued to get bigger in the period spanning from the mid 19th century to the early 20th century, the proportion of strings to winds became ever more skewed. The original instrument claque have addressed this imbalance by cutting down on the number of strings, and generally performing/recording their Beethoven (and others) in smaller venues. They also employ authentic period wind instruments which typically have a less tame, more piercing tone quality than their large philharmonic counterparts. Add real calf skin heads on to the timpani, and you're off and running. Mahler, on the other hand, unabashedly adjusted his Beethoven to where in would sound good in the new and larger concert halls of his time. He also wanted to take advantage of the evolved improvements in wind instrument technology since Beethoven's time (that's to say nothing of pedal tuned timpani). Thus, in horn parts and trumpet parts, Mahler sometimes simply, 'filled in the dots' by putting in the notes within a scale that couldn't be played on the brass instruments of Beethoven's time (valves hadn't been invented or employed yet).

More to the point, Mahler adjusted the entire 'sound world' of Beethoven so that it would appear almost natural to audiences that were becoming ever more accustomed to Wagner and Brahms (to nothing of the future onslaught of Bruckner and Mahler's own music). One fault of this approach is that the music begins to sound a bit less like Beethoven, and a tad more like Mahler. That is to say, we don't recognize hearing the same-old Beethoven 9. What we hear, instead, is an 'updated' Beethoven with, in some instances, some very obvious improvements. The big climax of the first movement, for example, is more powerful yet clearer sounding under Mahler's retuschen (the German word for these adjustments). On the other hand, Mahler's trumpet doublings of some of the louder choral passages in the finale, seem a bit excessive. Yet, in the final analysis, we're left with a Beethoven experience that is both powerful in scope, and clear in texture (clarity meant almost everything to Mahler). Rather than reducing strings, Mahler brought his wind instruments up to four on a part (four oboes, four flutes, four clarinets, etc.). He also made Beethoven's timpani parts a bit more complicated - taking advantage of faster tuning via foot pedals.

This particular live performance took place in the famous Musikverein in Vienna. The Tonkunstler is generally considered to be the 4th place orchestra in Vienna, yet they play extremely well here. No doubt, everyone was enthused about taking on this Beethoven/Mahler joint venture. Tempi are generally quite fast, especially in the first three movements. As such, it's difficult to know if they were taken from Mahler's own markings, or if conductor Kristjan Jarvi has simply been influenced by the before-mentioned period instrument folks (that's to say nothing about the endless debates over Beethoven's own metronome markings).

The first movement is both rhythmic and hard driven, with one heck of a climactic passage (as mentioned previously). The scherzo is about as fast and 'demonic' as I've ever heard it. Again, some of Mahler's minor doublings seem a bit unnecessary, but everything is as clear as a bell. Clocking in at just over 12 minutes, the slow movement flows more like a natural stream, and feels less like an endless contemplation than usual (good horn solos too). The finale gets off to a bit of an odd sounding start, with Mahler doubling Beethoven's denuded double basses with celli. But, once our quartet of soloists arrive on the scene, they sound quite good together. That said, the tenor isn't the best when we get to his solo later on (I don't have his name with me right now). However, we get distracted to this fact by way of Mahler's biggest and most fascinating alteration: during the 'Turkish March', Mahler has the cymbals and bass drum played from offstage. Thus, he's able to make a big crescendo over the course of this charming march, without also having the percussion blow us out of the room by the end of it. It's a brilliant stroke that really works!

Whether any of this whets your appetite or not might, your judgment might get tilted by one additional fact: the recorded sound on the disc is excellent (the label is Preiser). It's not clear to me if the recording was made by the ORF (Austrian Radio) or not. If so, it's the best live sound I've ever heard come from those engineers ever (they're generally not so great). As an additional note, it's interesting to know that back in Mahler's time - while the newspaper critics hated (and greatly exaggerated) what Mahler had done with Beethoven - his Viennese audiences were completely won over. Just judging from the cheers and applause at the end of this performance, it sounds as though they've been won over again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UCTA98/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:34:08 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Don

Re: Beethoven (arr. Mahler) 9th Symphony with Kristjan Jarvi
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »
Not being a big fan of Schumann in general, I found myself enjoying Mahler's "retuchen" of his symphonies more than the originals. I do not feel the same about Beethoven, but  I think I will get the download and hear this for myself it sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the heads up and the fascinating description!
M10 Fanatic!

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 01:16:44 PM »
Both the Beethoven and Schumann symphony "retuschen" by Mahler get occasional performances here and there, and that's about it.  Most contemporary audiences steeped in the purist mode seem to not care for them.  I remember reading where George Szell commented that the Mahler Schumann retuschen were an "abomination".  I have the Schumann retuschen on CD conducted by Aldo Ceccato and one of the Beethoven 9th by a different conductor than that critiqued by Barry whom I cannot recall.  In live concert, I heard Leonard Slatkin conduct the Eroica Mahler retuschen some years ago, and definitely remember the timpani as being doubled and the horns as well, and was a bit taken aback by the increased texture in sound compared to what I'm used to.  These "retuschen" of both composers are interesting to listen to on occasion, but I still prefer the original orchestration.

Wade
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:20:51 PM by waderice »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 02:04:14 AM »
"These "retuschen" of both composers are interesting to listen to on occasion, but I still prefer the original orchestration"

I'm sure that the vast majority of informed listeners feel just the same as you do. Peharps then, because of it's size and scope, the 9th benefits from Mahler's adjustments more than the earlier symphonies.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 04:08:48 AM »
I remember reading where George Szell commented that the Mahler Schumann retuschen were an "abomination".

I just revisited an essay by George Szell on the Schumann Symphonies, which contains the following section on orchestration:

"Schumann's shortcoming as an orchestrator—apart from minor lapses due to inexperience—is his inability to establish proper balances. This can and must be helped with all means known to any professional conductor who professes to be a cultured and style-conscious musician. Much soul-searching and discrimination in the choice of remedies has to be applied. They cover the whole range from subtle adjustment of dynamic marks to the radical surgery of reorchestrating whole stretches. The wholesale reorchestration of the Schumann symphonies by Gustav Mahler, however, I consider a most unfortunate mistake on the part of a great conductor. Mahler adulterates the character of these works by wrapping them in a meretricious garb of sound completely alien to their nature and in some instances even goes so far as to change the music itself."

Szell's own retouchings of the Schumann symphonies consisted of thinning out textures, eliminating doublings, adding or changing notes to clarify themes, adjusting dynamics, and changing certain timpani notes—impractical in Schumann's day—to conform with the harmony. Szell said his goal was to make the symphonies sound "as if Schumann had as much knowledge of orchestration as Weber but not as much as Richard Strauss." (I've always wondered if that's because Szell's own knowledge of orchestration ended at a point somewhere between Weber and Strauss.)  ;D

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk