General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

If you like V-W and Sibelius, you must . . .

(1/1)

barry guerrero:
.     .     .   you must try to hear the Lyrita recording of E. J. Moeran's "Symphony in G", conducted by Sir Adrian Boult. It comes with a "Sinfonietta", and "Overture For A Masque". It's recorded in gorgeous, late analog sound from the middle '70s. The venue isn't credited, but I'm willing to guess that it was Kingsway Hall. Anyway, the symphony is particularly wonderful. There are moments that are pure Sibelius; right out of dreamy, moody tone poems. There's also plenty of the English pastoral, V-W like feel to it as well.

If the Lyrita price (about 16.98) is a bit too much, there's also a decent Naxos recording of the symphony available too.

sbugala:
Thanks for the recommendation, Barry.  I know a place that might have this on LP, so I'll scoop it up for a listen.  As a matter of fact, I picked up Boult's Lyrita Elgar 1 and 2 today reissued on two Musical Heritage Society LPs. 

akiralx:

Also I can recommend the symphonies of Arthur Butterworth, there is one recorded on the Classico label with the Munich PO/Bostock.  They are quite Sibelian.

He is still alive and was for many years the conductor of the amateur Huddersfield PO in which my father still plays the violin.  Formerly Butterworth played the trumpet in the HallĂ© under Barbirolli.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version