Author Topic: Bychkov/VPO M6 in Berkeley  (Read 7613 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Bychkov/VPO M6 in Berkeley
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:04:04 AM »
.   .   .  UN-FREAKIN' BELIEVABLE!  This was an astonishing Mahler 6th in every conceivable way. Personally, I thought that this was much better the Bernstein/VPO M6 that I saw in Carnegie Hall back in the late '80s, at least from an interpretive standpoint. Bychkov conducted the 6th very, very well.

Oh yes, there are still a few very minor Vienna-isms left in them: an old pair of Zildjian cymbals that are very dark sounding; a rather small sounding triangle (which they frequently doubled in loud passages); playing the snare drum from a seated position (which didn't seem to be a problem at all). And, if there is such a thing as a weak section within the VPO, I would say that their woodwinds aren't quite up to the level of the strings - who are thoroughly beyond belief - or their powerful horns and low brass. The tuba and bass trombone were positively jaw-dropping.

Just as in St. Louis, Bychkov performed the 6th in S/A order, and there were two hammer strokes in the finale - the second one reinforced with the optional cymbals and tam-tam (bass drum isn't optional). The scherzo began with just a very short break after the first movement. Then Bychkov took a much longer break before starting the Andante. Thus, the first two movements sort of worked together as a unified Part 1. THAT'S the order and interpretation I think works best, but that's just me. After that, the slow movement was gorgeous - as you might have well expected - and the finale was a complete and utter outrage. Bychkov took the final A-minor explosion at the very end of the symphony, very, very slowly, and with a slight crescendo on the last three fortissimo quarter notes from the timpani. That's exactly how I played it with Redwood Symphony (timpani II), and it's nice to hear the VPO second that approach.

Some of Bychkov's ideas very much remind me of what I have heard on the new Saraste/Oslo Phil. recording on Simax - especially the rather protracted cowbell episode in the first movement - it was sooooo atmospheric. The brief "alpine" passage in the slow movement was to die for as well - unison ascending horns; onstage cowbells; twittering strings; naive sounding solo trumpet - that business. Truly, everything about the entire performance was outstanding. I also very much liked the seating arrangement that they used.

Keep in mind that Zellerbach is probably one of the worst concert halls in all of California, so getting good sound and good balances is difficult in all but the smallest works. From left to right (looking at the stage), Bychkov seated his strings: first violins; violas, cellos, second violins. I've never paid much attention to the somewhat antiphonal violin writing in M6, but it's there. It was a little difficult to see how the woodwinds were arranged (I was on the main floor), but bassoons seemed to be a bit higher than usual. It looked to me that the trumpets were seated to the left of the bassoons. The trombones were seated behind the trumpets, and it was the back row that was most creative, in terms of seating. The tuba was placed dead center in the back row (and he played great!), with the horns to his right side (again, looking at the stage), and the trombones to his left. I assume that the fourth trombone was seated next to the tuba during the finale (4th trombone only plays in the finale), but I could be wrong about that. The percussion were positioned to the far left. I think they were a bit crammed for space, but they did an excellent job of covering all of the doublings and misc. instruments, etc. There was a young woman who covered many of the utility percussion parts, and she did a really good job. The harps were difficult to hear except in spots where Mahler thinned out his textures and left them more exposed (slow movement and parts of the scherzo, in other words).

Again, for those who keep score: toward the end of the final allegro (fast) 'charge' passage in the finale, the very final cymbal crash was played with four pairs of cymbals, while the crash that preceded it was played by two pairs. The cymbal plate rolls - played at the end of the brief 'false victory parade march' passage - was executed with two pairs of cymbals. The bass drum in the VPO sounds far more hefty than I remember it sounding back in the '80s (it always sounded too small and too 'dry'). The timpanists were superb. Needless to say, the entire string section of the VPO is to die for. The low strings were beyond belief.

For me, this was a banner day in Berkeley. As you might well know, Berkeley isn't exactly Mahlerville. Early music and modern music are vogue in Berkeley, and Mahler has been slow to catch on (unlike S.F.). But this three day VPO extravaganza seems to have really broken the ice. There was a good 15 or 20 seconds of silence at the end of the finale, and then a unanimous standing ovation that lasted for several rounds of the entire orchestra standing; first desks and various sections called to stand, and Bychkov making numerous returns to the podium. Everyone was in agreement that it had been one heck of a performance.

By the way, Michael Tilson-Thomas showed up, and I was tempted to go ask him if he was there to learn how the piece really goes  ;)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:42:14 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Russ Smiley

Re: Bychkov/VPO M6 in Berkeley
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
For those familiar with such things, might this spate of M6 performances by Bychkov be a precursor to a recording?
Russ Smiley

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »
Vienna Philharmonic Redraws the Map of Mahler’s “Tragic” Symphony
Cal Performances By Steven Winn

http://www.sfcv.org/reviews/cal-performances/vienna-philharmonic-redraws-the-map-of-mahlers-tragic-symphony
Russ Smiley

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 06:56:30 AM »
Pretty darn accurate. The finale was just a jaw-dropping outrage. Truly one of the greatest performances I've ever witnessed of anything.

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:19:34 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it so much. I only attended two perfomances of M6. First by E.P.Salonen conducting the Philharmonia. Techniqually perfect but....it let me rather cold. Second one last year by Simone Young conducting the  Lyon National Orchestra . That was wonderful and the musicians showed their enthusiasm with their applauses at the end.

Offline Russell

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »
It was revealed yesterday that the VPO's concerts in Berkeley were doctored up, soundwise:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/music/messages/18/183466.html

I'm really shocked about this!!!

Still wish I had been there, though......

Russell

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:28:01 PM »
It was revealed yesterday that the VPO's concerts in Berkeley were doctored up, soundwise:

Russell,

Thanks very much for posting this information. I find it very disturbing and certainly hope it doesn't become a trend.

It's particularly troubling that nothing was put in the program about it and no announcement was made.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 12:22:21 AM »
I heard absolutely nothing that sounded like electronically enhanced sound. There were ZERO microphones, and there were no sound people running around. This is a bizarre story and I don't believe that there's an ounce of truth to it. Regardless, the performance was amazing - with or without any enhancements.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:27:31 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 02:52:15 AM »
As I think about it, maybe that might make some sense, as it sounded as though the VPO had completely overcome the acoustical problems of Zellerbach. But there was nothing that sounded 'electrical' about it, except for the performances. Seriously, there were no microphones hanging around. Nobody saw chords or anything clipped onto the stands. If they did do something, it was awfully discreet. It fooled me, and that's good enough for me.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 06:51:57 AM »
A little research shows that Meyer Sound Laboratories has had one of its Constellation Systems installed in Zellerbach Hall since 2006, and it's been praised by many visiting musical groups since then, including MTT and the SFSO. I guess I'm a bit surprised that it's a surprise to anyone in the bay area.

http://www.meyersound.com/pdf/case_studies/cs_zellerbach.pdf

Meyer Sound is a major player in this sometimes controversial field—one of their Constellation Systems is installed in an auditorium only a couple miles from my home, and I'm in Central Florida! These are very sophisticated systems and are able to enhance the sound of a performing group without in any way calling attention to themselves.

I initially thought this might have been something set up specifically for the Vienna M6 performance. If it's been in the hall for over four years and in regular use, then I understand why there was no need to put a notice in the program or make any specific announcement—it's now simply considered part of the hall.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 10:03:09 AM »
I was informed tonight that the Berkeley Symphony, which also plays in Zellerbach, has been using the Meyer Constellation system as well. I can tell you then, that there's still a HUGE difference between the way the B.S.O. sounds in Zellerbach, and the way that the VPO just did. I'm glad to find out that it wasn't just set-up specifically for the Vienna Phil. concerts. Regardless, the sound didn't come across as artificial in the slightest bit.

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 08:36:36 PM »

Barry, a friend of mine who was in attendance did notice the microphones, but assumed they were for recording. He was also quite impressed wqith the sound of the VPO, and disappointed to learn afterwards that the acoustics of the hall had been manipulated.

Personally, I await the day when the sound system is good enough to recreate the auditory experience of listening to a great orchestra in their own hall. How wonderful would it be to hear the VPO play at the Musikverein in Vienna? But if not there, the Musikverein in Berkeley will do. The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra as they sound in their own hall in Amsterdam. The NY Philharmonic as they sound in -- well, maybe Carnegie Hall rather than Avery Fischer.

Actually, maybe they could install one of these systems in Avery Fischer and save the tens of millions of dollars they are spending (again) on renovations that may or may not improve the acoustics of that place.

"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk