Author Topic: second hand report on Dudamel/LAPO/Miah Persson M4 at Disney Hall  (Read 4553 times)

Offline barry guerrero

A colleague of mine went down to take in the recent Dudamel M4 with Miah Persson. I don't consider him to be a big Mahler expert at all, but he said it was absolutely terrific. I don't think that he had been to Disney Hall before, and I've felt, in the past, that he's sometimes been too impressed by the Mahler we frequently hear in S.F. with MTT (I really think DeWaart was better at it). This L.A. M4 impressed him on a whole 'nother level. I've also received an outstanding testimonial for the Dudamel M2 in L.A. - a rave review, in other words. Can't wait to experience the 8th at The Shrine.

Offline singingfriar

Re: second hand report on Dudamel/LAPO/Miah Persson M4 at Disney Hall
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:53:31 PM »
I saw the 2nd and the 3rd with Dudamel and the SBSOV.  I wasn't overly impressed with either the orchestra or conductor in both performances.  Dudamel's Second is absolutely manic in its tempo extremes and seems so disjointed.  The Third, on the other hand, seemed to lack a compelling argument.  I didn't get the feeling that they "got it," and that at least, that didn't come across to the audience.  I'm hoping to see the 7th and 8th next week.  I'm sorry to have missed the Fourth. 

Offline barry guerrero

Re: second hand report on Dudamel/LAPO/Miah Persson M4 at Disney Hall
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 04:21:34 AM »
I listened to a copy of Dudamel's M2 from the London Proms. It's true that he's 'all over the place', and does lots of things that are contrary to what the score tells you to do. But I also found it to be a very powerful and compelling performance. I felt a bit guilty for getting swept up in it. But at the end of the day (hate that say - sports people use it waaay too much), is that what truly matters?

On the other hand, I could easily imagine that he might not be at his best trying to keep the sprawling third symphony together. It's easy to get bogged down in the inner movements, or slightly 'mis-trigger' at the climaxes of the two outer movements. Anyway, I hope the 8th is good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk