Author Topic: picked up dvd of M5/M6 with P. Jarvi/Frankfurt R.S.O. (C-Major)  (Read 5280 times)

Offline barry guerrero

I hadn't planned on getting P. Jarvi's dvd of M5/M6. But I liked the finale of M6 that's on Youtube, as wells as the movements from M5. And because Jarvi does "Le Sacre du Printemps" (Rite of Spring) so well, I had a sneaky hunch that he would do the scherzo to M6 really well. Let me tell you folks, it's superb - one of the best performances of the scherzo movement I've yet to come across. Since I didn't have a dvd of M5 (I sold off the Barenboim/CSO one quite a while ago), I'm glad I picked this up.

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphonies-Nos-5-6/dp/B00SVBVR6G/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-3&qid=1429393852

Forget the customer review there, it's completely stupid.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: picked up dvd of M5/M6 with P. Jarvi/Frankfurt R.S.O. (C-Major)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 07:32:44 AM »
I watched the fifth symphony tonight, which is excellent - easily as good as ANY M5 in my collection. The horn soloist in the third movement is superb. Paavo Jarvi's Mahler combines intellect with heart - not one or the other.

If I've piqued your curiosity, there's a Youtube video of the same people doing M5, only on tour in Seoul, Korea. The audience goes nuts. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:34:19 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 02:32:28 PM »
I just ordered the blu-ray.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:54:03 PM »
Oh no! I hope you're not too concerned about the quality of the picture because C-Major has apparently screwed up on the video end of the BluRays. Here's the thread regarding the M3/M4 BluRay with the same people. It's not an issue with me.

http://gustavmahlerboard.com/forum/index.php?topic=2099.0

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 02:32:24 PM »
I'm sure I'll manage along. I do like good picture quality though, I can admit that. Nothing like watching the Valencia Ring, on  110" screen with a good 5.2 set-up!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 06:52:28 PM »
Here's my Amazon customer review. I could have given it four stars, but I gave it five to counter the other idiot's two star review. Again, I'm not at all concerned about the visual component. It ain't "Lawernce of Arabia".

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphonies-Nos-5-6/dp/B00SVBVR6G/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-4&qid=1430160482
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:04:32 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »
The video quality of this blu-ray is OK. It's upscaled, soft with muted colors. Basically like any upconverted image. It doesn't detract in anyway. The sound is also alright, nothing spectacular; some of this could be caused by the Cathedral this was recorded in. If you're thinking about purchasing, maybe just stick with the DVD version.

I am not as enthused about this performance of the 5th as Barry. Not that I can find any fault, it just didn't grab me in the way that the recent Chailly disc has. It is a fine performance, well played and executed. Surely worth a listen, and I will give it another in the future and see if my thoughts change.

No time for the 6th as of yet.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 01:53:07 AM »
I must say that I haven't seen the Chailly M5 dvd, so I'm not in a position to compare. It certainly doesn't surprise me that the Chailly is really good. But I do think that the horn soloist is superb on the Paavo Jarvi. I'm pretty satisfied with it. I certainly like it better than either Barenboim/C.SO. - which ain't bad - or the Bernstein/VPO (which really isn't so hot).

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 03:06:20 PM »
I'm with you on the horn soloist, and the brass in general are quite good too.

The Jarvi 7th, at least during a cursory listen, is really really good. Stenz is who it initially reminded me of, but it's got a bit more heart and a little less steel. It's also recorded in a proper hall as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk