Author Topic: re-evalutation of Jansons M7 on Simax  (Read 4703 times)

Offline barry guerrero

re-evalutation of Jansons M7 on Simax
« on: June 01, 2010, 06:50:40 AM »
I've been listening to the Jansons/Oslo Phil. M7 on Simax, and have decided that I was too hasty in my first thoughts about it. This is an altogether more weighty and thought-out version that his BRSO one. In comparison, while very well played, his BRSO one sounds a bit like a fast run-through. Here, the first movement is much more considered, clocking in at just over 23 minutes. The Oslo low brass and percussion are darn near excellent. And while it's not an sacd hybrid, the Simax recording is bigger and more vivid sounding.  

Clocking in well over 16 minutes, the second movement truly sounds dark and nocturnal (rather like Abbado). Unfortunately, the offstage cowbells are too distant during their first appearance (at the solo horn signals). In the scherzo, Jansons capitulates to Mahler's "not too fast" marking; clocking in well over 10 minutes. Most important, the climax to the scherzo has the requisite power and spookiness that it needs. "Shadow business" indeed.

As with his BRSO M7, Janson's 2nd Nachtumusik is a throw-back to the days of taking this movement well over 14 minutes. Thus, it's nocturnal character is emphasized over its ability to stump as an Italian serenade (I prefer the latter approach, but it's not a deal breaker by any means). And while the finale isn't nearly as fast from to start to finish as it is on his BRSO M7, it still steps plainly into the brighness of broad daylight (17:15, which is still 30 seconds shorter than Bernstein I; Abbado I & II; Levine/CSO).

As with the first movement, the finale is more thought out and considered here. The percussion are outstanding throughout the finale, with full, resonant, and deep sounding tam-tam smashes. Deep bells and cow bells bong away sufficiently at the end as well. The low brass support everything above; just as they should. This is good stuff. Still, those of you who are curious may want to wait and see if a Concertegebouw M7 eventually gets issued. With the upcoming Amsterdam festival, I'm sure there'll be one eventually. However, picking up this one wouldn't be a big mistake either. Believe it or not, it was just sitting in the bins at Amoeba Music in S.F.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 07:01:42 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

Re: re-evalutation of Jansons M7 on Simax
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »
Barry,

I am glad you've become more favorable to the Jansons/OPO/Simax M7th. I too like this recording very much, although it (slightly) falls short of a live RCO concert that he gave out around the same time. Jansons may or may not be able to reproduce that fabulous performance during the upcoming Mahler festival, but at least we have the Simax one that tell us about his insights about the piece.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:22:02 AM »
John,

Just off the top of your (Nott) head  ;), are there any major differences in the Concertgebouw performance that you could convey to us?

Barry

Offline GL

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 07:20:16 AM »

Jansons may or may not be able to reproduce that fabulous performance during the upcoming Mahler festival, but at least we have the Simax one that tell us about his insights about the piece.

John,

What Mahler festival you are referring to exactly?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 07:22:02 AM »
Upcoming Mahler cycle in Amsterdam. 2011, I presume.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »
John,

Just off the top of your (Nott) head  ;), are there any major differences in the Concertgebouw performance that you could convey to us?

Barry
To be sure, "Nott" is not on top of my head these days :P.

I think the RCO concert was more flexible in tempo and "relaxed" compared to the Simax recording. Of course, he had a much better orchestra and that counts a lot.

I know I will revisit it some time soon.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
Thanks John.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk