Author Topic: Mahler Month Begins  (Read 4865 times)

Offline AZContrabassoon

Mahler Month Begins
« on: July 01, 2015, 05:23:35 PM »
Every July in my house is Mahler Month - I start today listening to everything, beginning with Das Klagende Lied and ending with the 10th symphony. Each year I choose two different sets and supplement and needed, trying to get in some historical recordings along the way. Of course July 7th is a party day! I used to spend the 7th listening to everything straight through, but I'm too old to do that.

So this years selections:

set 1: New York Philharmonic Broadcasts
set 2: Bertini on EMI
set 3: Abbado Lucerne video set, incomplete as it is

and I'm also going to go back and listen to the piano versions of what symphonies I have: 1, 2, 6, 7 as well as the chamber versions of 4, 9 and DLVDE.

Makes for a very rewarding month and is my own little way of honoring this great composer.

Offline ChrisH

Re: Mahler Month Begins
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:15:40 PM »
I really enjoy the Mahler Broadcast box set. That Kubelik 7th is excellent!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »
I like the Bertini cycle quite a bit. The Bertini and Inbal cycles might be the most consistent of any.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:35:06 PM »
I really enjoy the Mahler Broadcast box set. That Kubelik 7th is excellent!

Yes it is, and so very different from the DG/Audite versions he recorded with the BRSO about ten years earlier.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 04:52:16 PM »
While the Kubelik M7 is very good in its own way, I think it's an example of an M7 - and there are a couple of them around - where the tambourine part gets played on a military side drum (tom-tom). It sounds kind of weird - to me.

Offline techniquest

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 05:42:43 PM »
Every July in my house is Mahler Month

AZContrabassoon; next year can I come and spend July with you at your house?   ;D

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 02:10:26 AM »
You bet. Tonight I'm finishing up some bits and pieces. Just today I gave a listen to the first M2 I ever bought - the old Scherchen. To bad there aren't conductors like that today. Scrappy playing and all, it's a terrific performance. Tonight I've put on the 10th as done by Barshai.

Now understand that where I live it was 106 degrees today.  :P Probably higher tomorrow. When I listen to Mahler and it's so hot out, I like to think about the beautiful mountains of Austria where Mahler spent his summers. I roamed those places twice in my life, and want to go again!

Best...

Offline techniquest

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 07:43:08 PM »
Now understand that where I live it was 106 degrees today.  :P Probably higher tomorrow. When I listen to Mahler and it's so hot out, I like to think about the beautiful mountains of Austria where Mahler spent his summers. I roamed those places twice in my life, and want to go again!
I plan to visit Austria later this year and visit Mahler's first composing hut where he composed the 2nd symphony :)

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 12:53:14 AM »
Have a great time! It's beautiful country. Visiting his summer areas, and it's easy to see how nature so influenced his work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk