Author Topic: Shostakovich 'Babi Yar': my thoughts (OOT)  (Read 12407 times)

Offline John Kim

Shostakovich 'Babi Yar': my thoughts (OOT)
« on: March 17, 2009, 05:39:14 AM »
In my opinion, Shosy's 13th Symphony 'Babi Yar' is the hardest to bring off because of its anticlimactic structure that settles in following the first two movements. Right there and beyond it seems as though the spin has stopped and the music continues to dwindle in its momentum and power (except for the Finale which has its share of upbeat mood). But the truth is that this symphony is a 21st century masterwork that begs for repeated hearings to reveal and connect with its true underlying thematic materials. However unwise and unfitting it appears that Shostakovich trailed the symphony with predominantly subdued music, the grim elements - Despair and Fear among them - are still there lurking beneath the seemingly calm and eerily serene surface. It goes without saying that to sustain the tension and heft in the remainder of the music, the conductor needs to bring in a special insight and hold tight to the big picture with which he embarked the first part of the symphony. For me any performance of Babi Yar will live or die depending on how successfully this element of the music is brought out.

I would very much appreciate if you could recommend good recordings that will not disappoint me in this regard.

Thanks.

John,

Offline ChrisH

Re: Shostakovich 'Babi Yar': my thoughts (OOT)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:49:09 PM »
In my opinion, Shosy's 13th Symphony 'Babi Yar' is the hardest to bring off because of its anticlimactic structure that settles in following the first two movements. Right there and beyond it seems as though the spin has stopped and the music continues to dwindle in its momentum and power (except for the Finale which has its share of upbeat mood). But the truth is that this symphony is a 21st century masterwork that begs for repeated hearings to reveal and connect with its true underlying thematic materials. However unwise and unfitting it appears that Shostakovich trailed the symphony with predominantly subdued music, the grim elements - Despair and Fear among them - are still there lurking beneath the seemingly calm and eerily serene surface. It goes without saying that to sustain the tension and heft in the remainder of the music, the conductor needs to bring in a special insight and hold tight to the big picture with which he embarked the first part of the symphony. For me any performance of Babi Yar will live or die depending on how successfully this element of the music is brought out.

I would very much appreciate if you could recommend good recordings that will not disappoint me in this regard.

Thanks.

John,

This is a great, and yes, often over looked piece I think. I enjoy listening to Masur and the NYPhil. This recording is important because Yevgeny Yevtushenko, the author of the poem Babi Yar, recites it. It's live and I find it to be very enjoyable. Choir and soloist are excellent as well. I also listen to Kondrashin and the Moscow Philharmonic, another great recording in my mind. Lastly I've got this by Barshai and the WDR Symphony. Barshia's entire cycle is excellent, but for the 13th I would take the Kondrashin as my top pick. I mean, they're Russians.

Kondrashin would definitely fit your requirement of tension. I find the recording to be very grim and dark. The easiest example for me in this is the start of the 3rd movement. Low strings, and these slow broad lines. The bass then comes in singing atop the strings. Kondrashin keeps this very tense and clenched, but never allows it to overtake the soloist. It just sits there under the surface. The playing of the Moscow Philharmonic in is superb, conductor and orchestra were of the same mind this day.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:29:46 PM by Vehemence »

Offline Russell

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »
I've always had a soft spot for the 1970 Ormandy/Philadelphia recording on RCA, which was the first "western" recording of this symphony, and the one I grew up with. I've got it now on a Japanese RCA CD (I've owned it on LP and open-reel), which sounds pretty good.  (RCA never released it domestically on CD.)  I don't know if it will fulfill your requirements, John, but this one's still my sentimental favorite performance of this work.

Russell
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:24:03 PM by Russell »

Offline Jules

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »
Kondrashin would definitely fit your requirement of tension. I find the recording to be very grim and dark. The easiest example for me in this is the start of the 3rd movement. Low strings, and these slow broad lines. The bass then comes in singing atop the strings. Kondrashin keeps this very tense and clenched, but never allows it to overtake the soloist. It just sits there under the surface. The playing of the Moscow Philharmonic in is superb, conductor and orchestra were of the same mind this day.

Kondrashin made another recording of this work, a live performance with the Bavarian Radio Symphony from his late years (I'm not 100% sure about this orchestra) which was published by Philips as a LP. Has it ever been transferred to CD??

Offline Don

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 12:56:47 PM »
I have to second the incredible Kondrashin Moscow Philharmonic/Vitaly Gromadsky performance that I have on Russian Disc. Even the cover of the CD, a young peasant girl with a bow in her hair arm raised in front of her face in defense and eyes filled with terror, is as gripping and shattering as the performance.

The Barshai in his complete set is excellent. Russell's post made me recall owning the Ormandy performance on LP. I may need to get a copy of that disc, now available easily as an Archiv Disc at ArchivMusic.com
M10 Fanatic!

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 04:26:55 PM »

Kondrashin made another recording of this work, a live performance with the Bavarian Radio Symphony from his late years (I'm not 100% sure about this orchestra) which was published by Philips as a LP. Has it ever been transferred to CD??

There seems to be the LP for sale on Ebay. It has no info on the orchestra nor a picture of the album cover. It was only 5 bucks though. Couldn't find any CD of this using google either. Only the Melodya cycle comes up.

It sounds like I'm going to have to pick up the Ormandy as well.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 04:40:26 PM »
How about Kitajenko SACD?

I heard the famous Solti/CSO recording but was not terribly impressed. It seems Solti at the time of the recording didn't have a full grasp of this masterpiece (which he officially called the symphony), although CSO is intop form.

I like Wiggleworth/NRPO/BIS quite a lot. This one has truly amazing sound (SACD) quality and awesome playing going for it. Wiggleworth's conducting, especially his management of tempos and dynamics is very consistent.

I didn't care much for Jansons/BRSO/EMI version, too fast and insensitive.

Haven't heard Haitink/RCO or Kondrashin you mentioned yet.

John,

Mackjay

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 10:16:40 AM »
I was always impressed by the Previn recording, with the LSO. Seem to remember it got rave reviews when it came out, but I never replaced the LP when it came to CD

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 07:47:21 PM »
I finally got hold of the Kitajenko SACD set at a discount price.

I am listening to the 8th. The performance which is rather straightforward but expansive and very dramatic and the sound quality are nothing short of outstanding.  :o

I will report again when I get to the Babi Yar.

John,

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 04:29:26 AM »
I have never heard a recording of S13 that I like as well as Rostropovich/Ghiuselev/National Symphony of Washington. It's available on an ArkivCD.

I am not generally a fan of Rostropovich's conducting, but everything just came together in this recording. The soloist is outstanding, powerful, beautiful and always on pitch, the conducting is committed, the orchestra is excellent, and the engineering, clear and deep.

I have not heard all the recordings others have mentioned, but the only one I have that approaches the Rostropovich is Okko Kamu with Nikita Storojev and the City of Birmingham Symphony on Chandos (out of print).

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 05:52:20 AM »
I have never heard a recording of S13 that I like as well as Rostropovich/Ghiuselev/National Symphony of Washington. It's available on an ArkivCD.

I am not generally a fan of Rostropovich's conducting, but everything just came together in this recording. The soloist is outstanding, powerful, beautiful and always on pitch, the conducting is committed, the orchestra is excellent, and the engineering, clear and deep.

I have not heard all the recordings others have mentioned, but the only one I have that approaches the Rostropovich is Okko Kamu with Nikita Storojev and the City of Birmingham Symphony on Chandos (out of print).
Uhmm...it's hard to accept your comment because I heard this recording by Rostropovich and found nothing very special. Perhaps it was a casual listening. I have Wigglesworth/NRPO/BIS SACD and overall this may be the best all around recording next to the Kitaenko in terms of conducting, playing, tempo, dynamics, sound, and everything. I wish the male soloist were a bit more emotional in the outer movts. but his subdued singing could be a part of the whole performance which is well integrated and well thought out.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 06:06:19 AM »
You might want to get Dave Hurwitz to add his two cents, as he really like the 13th, and knows every single recording of it quite thoroughly. Forget my previous negative comments about the work, because I was thinking of the 11th instead (which I really don't care for).

Barry
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:37:57 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 03:46:57 PM »
Barry,

I would disagree. Babi Yar is Shosy's most mature work, possibly the greatest along with 4th. The melodies are great and tuneful (you can almost sing along with them!), and the structure of the music is subtle and very powerful. But as I said, it's rather hard to bring all the stuff off.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 05:30:54 PM »
No, I like the 13th OK. It's the 11th and 12th that I truly don't care much for. I'm also not wild about the 14th, but love the 15th instead. To me, the 15th is clearly the best one after the 10th.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 08:57:18 PM »
I like the 15th very much too. An enigmatic but accessible and poignant work at Shosy's best. I certainly love it better than the 14th. I am slowly getting warmed up to the 12th though. For one thing, it is short (40 min) and enjoyable music. The brief 3rd movt. is a masterpiece of great march rhythms and tunes.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk