Author Topic: March 14-17, San Francisco Symphony & MTT - Mahler 9  (Read 10207 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: March 14-17, San Francisco Symphony & MTT - Mahler 9
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 02:38:30 AM »
.   .   .   you need a new hall.  Well, at least for recordings, anyway. After Orchestra Hall was screwed up in the mid '60s, I've preferred recordings from the Medinah Temple. Regarding the strike:

http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2013/03/13/san-francisco-symphony-on-strike-concert-cancelled/

I love it - poor musicians 'slumming it' in the streets as though they were canary workers.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:13:33 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 03:42:48 AM »
Yes, Orchestra Hall is awful. It's a shame that such a fine orchestra has to play there.

In the most recent remodel, an ugly acoustic reflector was suspended over the orchestra. On the one hand, the sound is brighter and clearer in the balconies, but it acts as a huge microphone and even if the orchestra is playing pianissimo, it ends up being mezzo forte.

If the main floor has any good seats, they're out of my price range; same for the lower balcony. I sit toward the front of the upper balcony, and it's tolerable. I used to sit in the gallery, which is the top balcony, but the sound is horrible there now--no highs at all.

Some conductors manage to scale the sound of the orchestra to the hall. Haitink, Sir Mark Elder, Semyon Bychkov and Jaap von Zweden are quite listenable.

Sadly, Medinah Temple was redone and only the facade remains. It's a moot point since studio recording is dead. The best hall in the area is the Auditorium Theater, but few classical concerts are played there.

Minneapolis has a good hall, way better than Chicago. That's why I've gone there six times in about as many years. The best halls I've heard are the Auditorium, the Foellinger Great Hall at the Krannert Center in Champaign/Urbana, and Dallas. Solti made some CSO recordings at Krannert, including M7.

As far as I know, after the mid-'60s remodel, RCA never recorded in Orchestra Hall again; the late Martinon and the Levine recordings were all done at Medinah. DG and Erato made some decent sounding recordings at Orchestra Hall, but now I don't think it's possible.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 03:53:09 AM »
Yes, the Solti M7 has really really good sound. The first four movements are quite good. But then the timpanist can't play the opening flourish to the finale, and the finale just becomes a 'train wreck' from there on. On the whole, I think both the Levine and Abbado M7 recordings are better, in spite of any issues regarding sound quality. Funny how the CSO got so far out ahead in regards to the 7th symphony, except for N.Y. and Amsterdam. I wish Reiner had done it in Chicago (he did do it in Cincinnati).

Offline justininsf

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 04:06:11 AM »
This sucks, I have a ticket for Saturday night and it looks like it will be cancelled, one of the only concerts I had planned to go to this year.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 04:25:06 AM »
I'm sincerely sorry. Scheisse happens.

Offline justininsf

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 05:53:13 AM »
It is the 9th!  Happens to be my favorite, I had seen it around 10 years ago when they played it, I think it was the series of concerts on which the recordings are based off of.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 07:48:41 AM »
Truly, I'm sincerely sorry, and I'm sure everybody else wishes that this wasn't the case also. I think it's sad that they're willing hold their Carnegie Hall concert hostage as a bargaining chip, especially so soon after William Bennett has passed away. Now that's class!

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 06:06:32 PM »
When an at-best fair middle reliever in baseball is making around $4M annually, and journeymen NBA players even more, I think it only fitting that musicians in top-level orchestras make at least $140K.  Wonder what their management and prbots get?

Offline justininsf

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 02:57:31 AM »
When an at-best fair middle reliever in baseball is making around $4M annually, and journeymen NBA players even more, I think it only fitting that musicians in top-level orchestras make at least $140K.  Wonder what their management and prbots get?

In a fair world where art reigns supreme, yes, but the economics of the real world just don't dictate that.  Sports franchises are really huge businesses that on their own can bring in huge amounts of money and profits, whereas symphony orchestras rely on grants, donations, etc.  Ticket sales just don't cut it, they are basically subsidized organizations.

140K is a lot, 10 weeks vacation, plus that's a pretty damn good life.  Performances maybe 4 times a week, rehearsals aren't long and arduous.  They already are one of the top paid orchestras, if economics dictated a higher salary they would get it, but it doesn't.  Ask any professional orchestra player in the country (not in LA, Chicago or San Francisco) and I'm sure they have little sympathy for the San Francisco Symphony players.  Plus they get to live in San Francisco, one of the most desirable cities in the country.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »
Exactly. This is true because ticket sales cover only a small portion of overall expenses, and sponsorships are truly hard to come by. If it weren't for the large endowment that the SFSO received not too many years ago, they'd be in even much hotter water already.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 04:31:05 PM »
Well, the SFSO is still out of strike. I think rehearsals for the next set of concerts are to begin next week (remember, they were supposed to be out on tour now).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk