Author Topic: Bertini/Kolner Rundfunk/EMI M6...Incredible!  (Read 9837 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Bertini/Kolner Rundfunk/EMI M6...Incredible!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 12:58:42 PM »
"And, maybe best of all, in the opera Die Drei Pintos that Weber started and Mahler completed (to such an extent that it's basically by him in fact), with the Munich Radio orchestra. Wondering if anyone has heard that one?"

I haven't seen another one. I believe that the Bertini recording is the only one that currently exists of it. I could be wrong about that, but I've never seen more than one.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:21:21 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
Thanks for the info & opinion, Todd & John; all the points you two raise are relevant to my considerations.

Researching the topic a little (I've really gotten curious about Bertini), I noticed the Japanese HMV also has available three releases with him and either Wiener Symphoniker (no, not VPO; in the 5th & 9th) or Berlin Deutsches Symphonieorchester (4th & 6th), all live recordings on the Weitblick label sourced from Europe (but apparently not available there, to what I could find).

And, maybe best of all, in the opera Die Drei Pintos that Weber started and Mahler completed (to such an extent that it's basically by him in fact), with the Munich Radio orchestra. Wondering if anyone has heard that one?

PT

Pt, below is my review of the Bertini/Wiener Symp/Weitblick M9:

I. 28:09
II. 15:27
III. 13:09
IV.28:29

This is a powerful and deeply moving M9 from February of 1985.  In interpretation it retains the hallmarks of his later recorded M9's but with "rougher" and edgy playing from the Vienna Symphony (even more rough than the TMSO), which brings a sense of innocence and discovery to the score.  There are mistakes heard here and there, yet Bertini guides the orchestra with strength and sculpts a performance that touches and uplifts.  The sound is quite good for a live recording, with a somewhat limited dynamic range, but with wonderful balance and detail in the louder climaxes (all three climaxes in the first movement are a highlight of this recording). 

Although not essential, I warmly recommend this for fans of Bertini's art.  This performance has nuances not heard in his other accounts and I wouldn't want to be without it.  The Adagio is on a par with his TMSO M9, but the straight, earnest quality of the strings and strong brass make this one of the most tender and life affirming Adagios I have ever heard.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 01:19:08 PM »
Those timings are pretty similar to those on his Cologne recording. Interesting.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »
I've heard Bertni's M6 (no 1st movt. repeat) and M9 with the VSO you mentioned. Nothing basically wrong, but compared to the other commercial recordings he already made they are not really distinguished. Stick with the EMI or the Japanese FONTEC ones.

John,

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 06:06:45 AM »

"And, maybe best of all, in the opera Die Drei Pintos that Weber started and Mahler completed (to such an extent that it's basically by him in fact), with the Munich Radio orchestra. Wondering if anyone has heard that one?"

I haven't seen another one. I believe that the Bertini recording is the only one that currently exists of it. I could be wrong about that, but I've never seen more than one.

There is one other recording, which came out a few years back:

Weber-Mahler: Die Drei Pintos

Gunnar Gudbjörnsson, Alessandro Svab, Barbara Zechmeister et al.
Wexford Festival Opera Chorus, National Philharmonic Orchestra of Belarus, conductor Paolo Arrivabeni
(live performance, Naxos, 2004).

Mike Bosworth
Hanoi

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 06:30:09 AM »
.   .   On Naxos?  Hmmmmmm    .     .     .   I'm not sure that that's been released in the states. I'll look into that.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk