Author Topic: Editting DVDs?  (Read 4438 times)

john haueisen

Editting DVDs?
« on: October 09, 2008, 07:08:08 PM »
Does anyone have any information on how they can "clean up" or edit a dvd performance.
On Barry's original topic concerning the Medici Arts dvd of Abbado's M3, Je-b posted a youtube link which shows Anna Larsson's false entry with a second of abject panic by Abbado.

Today I received a dvd of the Abbado M3, and there's barely a trace of the false entry.
I believe that what they did was to edit out the second or two where the singer makes the early entry and Abbado waves it off, and they went to other camera angles.
Perhaps they were able to minimize the early entry sound.  (It was a soft note anyway.)  I can still see her starting to form the words of the false entry, but the camera quickly cuts to another view from behind Abbado.

However they did it, the Lucerne Abbado M3 with Anna Larsson is now available in dvd, and is excellently done!

--John H

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Editting DVDs?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 07:41:11 PM »
Did they perform it more than one night (or day)?  If so, they probably just used a different night's performance of it.

Barry

john haueisen

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:57:15 PM »
Good point, Barry--a possibility I had not considered.

Has anyone out there had any experience with sound and video engineering?
Would it be possible to diminish the sound of a false entry, and adjust by switching to a different camera view which then allows for the correct entry one to two seconds later? 

Although a false entry is distracting, in this case it seems minor enough to compensate for it, and continue with an excellent recording.

--John H

Offline Martin Bernhard

• TONCOMPTOIR
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 07:32:22 AM »
For a "live" recording, there could be the possibility to dub in material from the dress rehearsal or a rehearsal with cameras.

Martin
Einmal muß sein der Beginn:

gesetzt unter die Wurzel des Schattens.
Punkteinsamkeit:
die findet schwerlich statt.

john haueisen

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 05:21:14 PM »
Thanks Martin--that's another possibility.  Thanks for pointing it out.

I think the easiest way to "correct" a performance would be if at least two cameras were simultaneously taping the performance.  Thus, if we had a false entry, an editor could minimize the vocal sound and cut to another camera recording the music when the false entry occurred, and then pick up a second later when the proper entry was made.

--John H

john haueisen

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »
Just a follow-up:
Yesterday, I finally got a chance to speak with someone who has done a lot of video-editting.
She told me that it would be possible--and not all that difficult--to edit out a false entry, especially if there had been two or more cameras.
The early entry could be cut out, and the feed from another camera would carry the moment.  In the case of the Lucerne M2, it would really only require working with a segment less than 2 seconds in length.  Timing needs to be precise, but I'm told that is something editors work with every day.
--John H

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk