Author Topic: Mahler on YouTube  (Read 5296 times)

Offline brunumb

Mahler on YouTube
« on: July 13, 2011, 02:10:54 AM »
Someone posted this clip on another discussion board.
I found it amusing to watch the conductor and speculate on the inspiration for his technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmkVaYYCVNQ&feature=player_embedded#at=94

I'm thinking perhaps Nijinsky, or maybe he was previously in a synchronised swimming team.

Offline James Meckley

Re: Mahler on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:01:16 AM »
Looks like an amalgam of the worst aspects of Leonard Bernstein, Carlos Kleiber, and Valery Gergiev, aided and abetted by some serious recreational drugs.

At least the microphone set-up is nicely done.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline stillivor

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »
That's fun, kind of. At least it's different.

here's more self-indulgence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsAOOgry-8A&feature=fvst

Just the mood I'm in.

Ivor

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:59:30 PM »
Looks like an amalgam of the worst aspects of Leonard Bernstein, Carlos Kleiber, and Valery Gergiev, aided and abetted by some serious recreational drugs.

Spot on, James! Although I find Gergiev's conducting with his fingers more annoying. Look how close this fellow gets to the edge of the stage--but no one in the audience ever flinches. Nor laugh (that we can see). What a shame not to have the opening of Mvt. 4.

(Have you seen Fabio Luisi at the finale of M-1? Looks like a man fighting a swarm of hornets.)

. & '

Offline waderice

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:15:43 PM »
Joan Peyser, in her Leonard Bernstein biography, mentions an encounter in a NYC restaurant by Fritz Reiner and his former student, Bernstein.  This was after Bernstein's career as NY Philharmonic conductor was launched.  Reiner approached Bernstein, and told him, "You are a s**t".  If Reiner were here to see Misha Kazt' conducting, no doubt he would call Kazt a lot worse.

Wade

Offline Roffe

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 05:00:00 AM »
My problem is, when I see a guy like this Misha Kazt, that I get so fascinated (or appauled) of what he is doing, and how he is doing it, that I forget to listen to the music, and my concert is more or less ruined as a musical experience. No, guys like this (and he is not alone, some other guys were already mentioned) should not be allowed to be seen by an audience or on TV/DVD, I think their best media are the CD and the radio (LOL). Maybe also the off-stage orchestra.

Roffe
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:02:08 AM by Roffe »

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 11:21:21 AM »
Hahaha, thanks for the laugh! :D I still have to see such a "Kapellmeister" live myself!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk