Author Topic: Mahler/Bernstein Sony/Columbia box import  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Jeff Wozniak

Mahler/Bernstein Sony/Columbia box import
« on: September 30, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
Does anybody know anything about this?  Amazon has it listed as coming from the UK.  I take it that it is remastered, but Amazon says nothing about that.  No reviews there either.

I'm curious as to the improvement in sound quality if remastered.  I have some of the SACDs and I'm sure this new box will not sound as good as those.  But for about $65 for the whole box it might be worth it.

Offline John Kim

Re: Mahler/Bernstein Sony/Columbia box import
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »
Jeff,

Which one are you referring to?

This one?:

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-The-Complete-Symphonies/dp/B0000589BP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1222795190&sr=1-1

That set is nothing new in terms of the sound; it had been remastered by the latest technology at that time, but now we have the new Japanese SACD mastering that sounds much better.

John,

Offline Jeff Wozniak

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:28:47 PM »
Sorry.  I should have provided more info.  Amazon says it's an import released this year.  Here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Comp-Syms-Leonard-Bernstein/dp/B00005A85F/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1222799223&sr=1-2

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:49:45 PM »
Jeff,

It looks exactly the same as the US product...that much I can tell.

I would venture into the Japanese SACDs although they are asking for a steep price. I only sampled the regular CD layers of the M1, M3, M6, M9 but I could hear a huge improvement over any of the previous versions. Strings are velvety and sweet, woodwinds bright and have much more presence, all in improved balance.

John,

Offline Jeff Wozniak

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »
Thanks John.  I do have the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th and 9th on SACD, and yes, they sound wonderful.

Was just curious about this import box and if it was remastered.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk