General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Bamberg begins a second complete Mahler cycle, with Hrusa.

<< < (2/3) > >>

erikwilson7:
This recording is now available for digital download on Presto. My guess is it will also be available to stream on Spotify, et al. at midnight Eastern (US).

erikwilson7:
Well, this is confusing: I'm listening to this on Spotify right now, and the scherzo clocks in at 9:35, nowhere near the 8:27 listed on Presto. All of the other movements are correct, however.

John Kim:
Conductor Jakub Hrusa's first Mahler outing doesn't disappoint. This is a beautifully molded Mahler Fourth, gorgeously played and recorded.

I really like the way tam tam is pounded out 25 something times heading into the first climax of I. In most recordings and concerts I've heard they are all but audible. Hrusa takes a great care in making them not only audible but also gradually built up towards the climax. Very nice.

I look forward to more Mahler from Hrusa.

John

John Kim:
Another highlight: Hrusa slows down quite a bit in the interludes of the Scherzo (II.) evoking relaxed, romantic feelings, imparting a wonderful contrast in the moods that are predominantly wicked and spooky.

Soprano Anna Lucia Richter doesn't have the childlike timbre in her voice, but she skillfully sings without parody (as per Mahler's instruction). This is clearly a mature adult's vision of Heaven filtered with the child's mind and naivete.

John

barryguerrero:
John, thank you for your detailed review. I think once this Covid time-out is over with, Hrusa may be in serious demand around the globe. He's quickly getting a good reputation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version